Deploy static files in production

As someone who has been deeply involved in interviewing and hiring developers for the past 25 years, I can tell you that I have never put any value in industry-based certifications. The presence (or absence) of a certification has never been a factor in the screening, interview, or hiring process.

And I thought that certified people are more “up to date” and more valuable than people
who finished the university like 25 years ago, while the technology constantly keeps
changing. We have to ‘re-certify’ every 3 years, and the exam objectives are made from people that have real world experience in businesses.

In my opinion certification is a way to proof that you can do what you
claim you can do, and what they expect you to do and that the knowledge
is not outdated. Because someone had a university degree 25 years ago
doesn’t mean that he or she is an expert at uwsgi for example.

He or she had to “update” her / himself and the people who are certified,
their knowledge are constantly tested, every 3 years.

I don’t know what you’re trying to say by this.

I am trying to get the static files with DEBUG=False to display before I
even run Apache, by running:

python3 manage.py runserver

or

uwsgi --http localhost:8000 --wsgi-file mysite/wsgi.py

I agree. I also know from a lot of experience that people who can pass a test don’t necessarily know how to apply that knowledge outside the context of the classroom, or how to extend those fundamentals beyond what the class has taught, or that they understand the principles underlying that material.

As just one exampe, I would much rather hire a hobbyist who can demonstrate that they understand what uwsgi is doing than someone showing me a certificate saying that they know how to configure uwsgi. It’s the people who go beyond what they might learn in a classroom that have consistently demonstrated their value to me.

I’ve had to hire - and release - too many people who could not work in an environment that doesn’t precisely match the environments in which they were taught, because they could not generalize their knowledge into the understanding necessary to work in real-world situations.

I’ve had to hire - and release - too many people who could not work in an environment that doesn’t precisely match the environments in which they were taught, because they could not generalize their knowledge into the understanding necessary to work in real-world situations.

Did I get the job? I am just kidding, my English
language is probably too bad to get hired…

One of the objectives of one of my certifications
was also to help screen the people who they are
trying to hire.

I do not only want updated devices and operating
systems, I also want updated people.

Thanks for helping me out, and I hope that the Django Team can make
serving static files a little more user friendly for us. It was fun coding the
website, but it was not so fun trying to serve it.

I’ve commented multiple times here that deploying your first Django project is probably the most difficult and confusing task you’ll ever perform using Django. Mostly, it’s because the intricacies are not Django issues.

Since Django (rightfully) takes the position that it’s not Django’s role to serve static files, you’ve got the interaction between what Django does, and some other third-party software, such as nginx or Apache, gunicorn or uwsgi, local file systems vs cloud storage, etc, etc. Django doesn’t (and IMO, shouldn’t) care what you use for the rest of your environment.

The good news is that once you’ve done this once or twice, and identify the patterns that will work best for your environment, it really becomes quite easy after that.