Extending the existing User model

Thanks for both you help!

I tried the suggested approach to see where it gets me and read the links provided.

The suggested MemberCreateForm seems to work, I have the new field in the form and when submitting, it is saved!

But there is a new error after submitting the form:

AttributeError at /accounts/signup/
Exception Value: 'NoneType' object has no attribute '__dict__'
Exception Location:	/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/django/views/generic/edit.py, line 113, in get_success_url

Now I am confused why there seems to be a problem with the success_url that I have not changed.
I am also not sure if the save function replaces the init function, but adding to the MemberCreateForm class (in forms.py) seems not make it better (or worse).

class MemberCreateForm(UserCreationForm):

pin = forms.CharField(max_length=100)

class Meta:
        fields = ("username", "email", "password1", "password2", "pin")
        model = get_user_model()

def __init__(self, *args, **kwargs):
        super().__init__(*args, **kwargs)

def save(self, *args, **kwargs):
        # Let the UserCreationForm handle the user creation
        username = super().save(*args, **kwargs)
        # With the user create a Member
        Member.objects.create(user=username, pin=self.cleaned_data.get("pin"))

Do I understand correctly, that this would not be the recommended way and I should avoid using class based views to do this?

I guess I need “Multiple separate models that are related, and one submit button saves all”,
because I want a user that registers to provide the additional value “pin” at the registration form and have the value stored related to their a user account
instead of extending the default django user model.
And so I guess should “use the formset facility with the formset having a limit of 1 form, and not providing any facility to add forms”, but I don’t understand this yet :frowning: