What is a good file structure when using pipenv?

Hi, what should my file structure look like when creating a Django project with pipenv?
My problem now is that the Git repo is within the project folder rather than the virtual env-folder, which means I don’t commit my Pipfile and lock file.
I’ve seen many tutorials where they change the original file structure but I haven’t dared to try it yet…
Any examples or tips/pointers would be appreciated.

You should commit the Pipfile and Pipfile.lock files.

Yes exactly, I realise this, but I don’t know how my file structure should look like. Do I init the Git-repo in the virtual-env folder? That seems “odd”…

No, you don’t.

Look at my repository where I am using Django and Pipenv: https://github.com/egorsmkv/simple-django-login-and-register

1 Like

Great, just what I wanted but wow, it’s nothing like the original file structure. Do you create a new project named source or do you create a project in source/ and call it app?

I’ve wanted to run production and dev settings but haven’t figured out how. I will look at your project and see if i can setup a similar file structure, thank you.

Yes, the source folder is just a place where Django code lives, nothing special.

Correct, I’ve splitted the settings.py file to dev and production environments.

Using pipenv doesn’t alter the structure of your project layout - that’s up to you.

1. Create your Django project (in e.g. ~/dev/myproj)
  2. Set up the layout however it makes sense for your project
  3. Initialize with pipenv --python 3.7 # or similar
  4. Create or place your Pipfile in the project root folder
  5. Commit / push the containing directory, which is your project. It will include your Pipfile and Pipfile.lock

The actual virtualenv dir will be created elsewhere, automatically, e.g. at /Users/you/.local/share/virtualenvs/myproj-j3js86.
It isn’t and shouldn’t be part of your project dir.

2 Likes