beginner problem with models.py sql command is not applied?

Hey Guys,

iam pretty new to Django. Atm iam doing a tutorial on youtube to learn basic understandings.

In this tutorial i building my own project:

/mysite
db.sqlite3
manage.py
./mysite/
init.py
asgi.py
settings.py
urls.py
wsgi.py
./polls/
init.py
admin.py
apps.py
models.py
tests.py
urls.py
views.py

i added this to ./polls/models.py

from django.db import models

# Create your models here.

class User(models.Model):
	name=models.CharField(max_length=128)
	email=models.CharField(max_length=128)

Shell:

python manage.py makemigrations 
No changes detected 
python3 manage.py migrate 
Operations to perform:                                                            
Apply all migrations: admin, auth, contenttypes, sessions                       
Running migrations:                                                               
No migrations to apply.

if iam checking db.sqlite3 there should be a tabel called usermodel_user but is not in there. pls help.

Like i said iam complete beginner. Pls dont get angry for a stupid noob question :slight_smile:

Why is the sql not applied?

Personally, I recommend working through either the Official Django Tutorial or the Django Girls Tutorial. Itā€™s hard to help you with a tutorial that Iā€™m not familiar with, and canā€™t determine if itā€™s accurate or appropriate.

Beyond that, unless youā€™re planning to completely replace the functionality of the built-in User model, I wouldnā€™t name a model, User. Iā€™d pick a different name. If you need to add functionality to User, see Customizing authentication in Django | Django documentation | Django. However, as a beginning user, I wouldnā€™t recommend that as a starting point either.

Regarding your migrations, see django-admin and manage.py | Django documentation | Django

Hey, iā€™ve already did the Official Django Tutorial. My polls app is working. So Iā€™am now playing around sql.

I did nothing special just added this simple lines to my polls ap in models.py

from django.db import models

# Create your models here.

class User(models.Model):
	name=models.CharField(max_length=128)
	email=models.CharField(max_length=128)

the question if i run:

python3 manage.py makemigrations

nothing happens and the table will not appear in my sql file. Iā€™am feeling complete stuck atm .

Maybe you can look at this simple lines why it is not creating a table in my database?

The solution is documented here:

Hey,

thx for your answer but i have Problembs with the syntax. What is applabel in
django-admin makemigrations [app_label [app_label ...]]?

I tried

django-admin makemigrations mysite
django-admin makemigrations polls

both gave me error output. Thx for your help.

django-admin makemigrations polls
Traceback (most recent call last):                                               
  File "/home/naseweis/.local/bin/django-admin", line 8, in <module>             
    sys.exit(execute_from_command_line())                                        
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py
", line 419, in execute_from_command_line                                        
    utility.execute()                                                            
", line 413, in execute
    self.fetch_command(subcommand).run_from_argv(self.argv)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", l
ine 354, in run_from_argv
    self.execute(*args, **cmd_options)
ine 393, in execute
    self.check()
ine 419, in check
    all_issues = checks.run_checks(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/django/core/checks/registry.py", l
ine 76, in run_checks
    new_errors = check(app_configs=app_configs, databases=databases)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/django/core/checks/model_checks.py
", line 18, in check_all_models
    models = apps.get_models()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/django/apps/registry.py", line 179
, in get_models
    self.check_models_ready()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/django/apps/registry.py", line 141
, in check_models_ready
    raise AppRegistryNotReady("Models aren't loaded yet.")
django.core.exceptions.AppRegistryNotReady: Models aren't loaded yet.

Since you are running this in the context of an ā€œactive projectā€, you would use the manage.py command, not django-admin. (Thatā€™s documented at the top of that page.) You can use django-admin, but you would need to manually set the evironment. (manage.py does that for you.)

ok i tried:

python3 manage.py makemigrations polls

No installed app with label ā€˜pollsā€™.

my polls application running on the internet http://naseweis.pythonanywhere.com/polls/

When Iam running:
python3 manage.py makemigrations

it running through but it will not create the table in the sql file

What does your installed_apps setting look like in your settings.py file?

What are the contents of your polls/apps.py file?

installed_apps looks like this

INSTALLED_APPS = [
    'django.contrib.admin',
    'django.contrib.auth',
    'django.contrib.contenttypes',
    'django.contrib.sessions',
    'django.contrib.messages',
    'django.contrib.staticfiles',
]

Content of polls/app.py:

from django.apps import AppConfig

class PollsConfig(AppConfig):
    default_auto_field = 'django.db.models.BigAutoField'
    name = 'polls'

Thanks a lot for your help

You need to include your polls app into the INSTALLED_APPS.

See Applications | Django documentation | Django

I added that to my settings.py, but now i have errors on python3 manage.py check

ImportError: Module 'polls.apps' does not contain a 'PollsAppConfig' class. Choic
es are: 'PollsConfig'.

my /polls/apps.py look like this:

from django.apps import AppConfig

class PollsConfig(AppConfig):
    default_auto_field = 'django.db.models.BigAutoField'
    name = 'polls'

this is the whole error code from manage.py check:

python3 manage.py check
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/naseweis/django_projects/mysite/manage.py", line 22, in <module>
    main()
  File "/home/naseweis/django_projects/mysite/manage.py", line 18, in main
    execute_from_command_line(sys.argv)
", line 419, in execute_from_command_line
    utility.execute()
", line 395, in execute
    django.setup()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/django/__init__.py", line 24, in s
etup
    apps.populate(settings.INSTALLED_APPS)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/django/apps/registry.py", line 91,
 in populate
    app_config = AppConfig.create(entry)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/django/apps/config.py", line 221, 
in create
    raise ImportError(msg)
ImportError: Module 'polls.apps' does not contain a 'PollsAppConfig' class. Choic
es are: 'PollsConfig'.

i managed to fix this

Thx for your help now my polls application migrate correctly and i can continue with my tutorial

Much Much THX :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like