Changing the form part from the django auto-id in formsets

I’m sure this can be done, but somehow I can’t seem to find a reference in the docs or figure it out. Let’s say I have this form:

class Detform(ModelForm):

class Meta:
        model = Ap_detcmd
        fields = ["foo"]

Formset = inlineformset_factory(ParentModel, ChildModel,
                                       form=Detform,
                                       can_delete=False,
                                       extra=0)

Then in the template this gets rendered, for instance in the management form (or any field):

<input type="hidden" name="ap_detcmd-TOTAL_FORMS" value="0" id="id_ap_detcmd-TOTAL_FORMS">

Since the model of the form is “Ap_detcmd”, then I get #id_ap_detcmd-… as a prefix for all fields. But then I have some javascripts that acts on stuff and I’d like to NOT have to manage a bunch of different #id_XXXXX_. Those formsets are NEVER used on the same page. Yes I know that can be a slippery slop… but still I’d rather uniformize that naming. ANy ways to do this?

Without doing any real research or investigation on this, I’d give adding a prefix parameter to your inlineformset_factory definition - something like prefix="". (Note: I’m winging this - I’m not in a position / location where I can verify this. Try this at your own risk.)

You can also try setting auto_id="id_" as a parameter.

1 Like

Geez, this is borderline unfair! (It works).

I dove all the way to get BaseModelForm classes but somehow managed to not find it. I messed around with auto_id, but this didn’t work.

class BaseInlineFormset2(BaseInlineFormSet):
    def __init__(self, *args, **kwargs):
        kwargs["prefix"] = "foo"
        super().__init__(*args, **kwargs)

DetPoFormset = inlineformset_factory(Ap_entcmd, Ap_detcmd,
                                     formset=BaseInlineFormset2,
                                       form=Detform,
                                      can_delete=True,
                                      extra=0)

Okay so I’m not sure why I said yesturday this didn’t work - it does. If you’re using inline formset, add this prefix in the kwargs, and it’ll manage itself. I’m guessing that when I tested quickly yesturday, I just have left in m code change to the form definition itself from previous attempts and that prevented it from working properly.

But most definitely, this will properly namespace forms in the formset with a predicatable prefix.