Delete tables with foreign key constraints

Hi Everyone. I am trying to delete a table from a database, which is linked as a foreign key to another table. After searching for a while, I found that we can use alter table drop constraint.

Is there a better way to solve this ? Please let me know. Thank you.

Are you saying that the table you want to drop has the foreign key to a different table, or that the other table has a foreign key to the table you want to drop?

If the table you want to drop is the table with the foreign key, then you shouldn’t have any problems just dropping it.

If it’s the target of a foreign key from another table, my general recommendation in those cases is to drop the foreign key column from the other table.

1 Like

Hi KenWhitesell, thank you very much for your reply. The other table has a foreign key to the table I want to drop. Is there a way to find to how many tables my table is serving as a foreign key? If I can identify those tables, I can access them and drop the foreign key column in those tables.

Kindly advise. Thank you.

If you’re talking about that in terms of database commands, it would generally depend upon which database you’re using. I don’t think for example, that you would find that information the same way in both PostgreSQL and MySQL.

If you’ve got Django models for all these tables, then you can search your source code for the references.

Hi KenWhitesell, I am working with PostgreSQL and I cannot change the table parameters. If I have access to the database, is there a way using commands to check if a table of interest has foreign key relations with other tables?

I don’t understand what you mean by this:

What can’t you change?

The \d command will tell you. (e.g. \d public.user_user)

1 Like

Hi KenWhitesell, I am sorry for confusing you with my previous post. I am trying to find if my table of interest has foreign key relationships using Django and my DB is Postgresql. The command \d is for the psql terminal and I am looking to access that information from the Django terminal or script. Can you kindly let me know how? Thank you.

Django doesn’t track specific database information nor does it interrogate the database during normal operations. There is no requirement for Django to match your database structure. Django does not need a complete definition of your database in order to operate.

Therefore, there’s no way to get that information from Django - it doesn’t have it.

Now, if you have an account with the proper authority, you could probably run a raw SQL statement to interrogate the catalog tables and effectively retrieve the same information that the \d command provides. If you dig into the PostgreSQL documentation, you can probably find it in there somewhere.