Django Fellow Report - Natalia - 2026

Week ending 2026-05-24 (Week 21)

This week was mostly about returning :airplane_arrival: from PyCon :palm_tree:, which was quite exhausting. I arrived back on Wednesday, fairly drained (and very hungry :weary_face:), so I worked during Thu and Fri catching up on a large backlog of email notifications and syncing with the other Fellows.

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Security

  • Triaged reports,
  • Reviewed 5 PRs in preparation for security prenotifications next week.

Other/Misc

2 Likes

Week ending 2026-05-31 (Week 22)

My primary focus this week was polishing the upcoming security release :locked_with_key:. I spent time going deeper into areas I am less familiar with :brain: to ensure everything was in good shape for release. As release manager, this included reviewing and completing release notes :memo:, preparing backports for all three supported stable branches :repeat_button:, and crafting the corresponding CVE metadata :identification_card: so records are ready ahead of disclosure (this is part of our CNA responsibilities).

Reviewed

Authored

Security

  • Prepared private security PRs (targeting main and the three supported stable branches) for the five security patches.
  • Sent security release pre-notification announcement.

Other/Misc

  • Weekly Fellows meeting.
  • Attended DSF Office Hours.
  • Monthly Online Communities call.
3 Likes

Week ending 2026-06-07 (Week 23)

This week was quite intense, with most of the focus :magnifying_glass_tilted_left: on getting the security release out the door :door:. Issuing the release for the 5 CVEs took a fair amount of coordination and attention to detail, and definitely consumed a good chunk of brain power :brain::high_voltage:.

Alongside that, there were a number of meetings throughout the week, so overall it was a mix of high-focus release work and keeping in sync with the different groups :handshake:. Bonus: the final DEP 0018 for MAILERS was approved, moved to the accepted folder, and merged :white_check_mark:.

Triaged

Reviewed

Security

Other/Misc

  • Monthly Steering Council meeting.
  • Biweekly meeting with Fellows and Board Liaison (Jeff Triplett).
  • Biweekly meeting with Fellows and Line Manager (Andrew Godwin).
  • Weekly Fellows meeting.
4 Likes

Week ending 2026-06-14 (Week 24)

This week had a bit of a reset feel to it :broom:. After the previous stretch of PyCon US, security prep, and the security release itself :chequered_flag:, I spent time going through pending and snoozed items :alarm_clock:, trying to close loops and get things back to a more manageable state.

We also reviewed and triaged a batch of security reports :wrapped_gift: that were shared by a major AI company, following conversations I had at PyCon US :snake::beach_with_umbrella: about the growing volume of LLM-generated security submissions and the challenges they create for OSS projects (Django in particular). The reports were generated using an advanced security-focused model :robot: against the Django codebase. We evaluated each finding, confirming and addressing valid issues where appropriate and mapping others to existing tickets and prior reports. Overall, Django is in good shape :flexed_biceps:, as the results largely overlapped with known reports, validated our current triage approach, and reinforced confidence in our security stance :clap:.

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Security

  • Triaged multiple security reports, including a batch of 11 reports (shared with prior approval) by a single source. In roughly equal proportions, the outcomes were:
    • a small number of actionable security fixes (some already known and in progress),
    • duplicates of existing public tickets,
    • correctness concerns rather than security issues, and
    • new issues that did not meet the bar for a security vulnerability, for which we created public tickets.
  • Work on a patch for a new confirmed vulnerability.

Other/Misc

  • Weekly Fellows meeting.
  • Monthly Ops Team meeting.
  • Monthly Security Team meeting.
  • Prepared and sent invoice for May hours.
5 Likes

Week ending 2026-06-21 (Week 25)

Lots of preparation for the upcoming 6.1 βeta, with the goal of stabilizing recent changes and ensuring overall readiness :rocket:. I also spent time digging into Django’s async behavior, reviewing recent changes and following through on related optimizations and documentation updates :ledger:. I also looked more closely at packaging and reproducibility, especially around artifact builds, to improve our consistency in the release process :package:.

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Security

  • Triaged new reports.
  • Polished patches after round of reviews for confirmed vulnerabilities.

Other/Misc

2 Likes

Week ending 2026-06-28 (Week 26)

This week had a bit of a rush-high “everything coming together at once” :rescue_worker_s_helmet: feel, with the 6.1 beta going out last Wed :rocket: and preparation for the upcoming security release, with prenotification emails and patches :adhesive_bandage: going out tomorrow :dashing_away:. Most of the effort went into landing as many bugfixes as possible for the βeta, and polishing patches for confirmed security vulnerabilities, which meant careful reviews, backports, double-checking details, and aligning on CVE scoring and metadata :nerd_face:.

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Security

  • Triaged new reports.
  • Review one security patch and review CVE metadata for 3 confirmed vulnerabilities.
  • Invested some time together with Jacob to discuss how to use/score the CVSS 3.1 and 4.0 vectors.

Other/Misc

  • Weekly Fellows meeting.
  • Attended DSF Office Hours.
  • Met with Oracle regarding the Test Pilot Program.

Week ending 2026-07-05 (Week 27)

Intense week! :sparkles: I was mostly covering solo this week :rescue_worker_s_helmet:, so it was a mix of keeping everything moving and diving deep where needed. A big chunk of time went into tracking down and fixing a docs build regression for the website (thanks Carlton for spotting it and Tobias for the help debugging), which uncovered a subtle mismatch between how Django (core) builds docs and how the website consumes them. Alongside that, I spent time on a few deeper investigations that had been lingering (snoozed over and over in my inbox :alarm_clock:), finally unblocking design questions and follow-ups that needed proper attention. On the security side :locked_with_key:, I handled prenotifications and a wave of incoming reports, closing out a number of invalid ones and keeping things tidy.

Overall, a very hands-on week :toolbox: balancing throughput with some worthwhile deep dives that should pay off going forward :balance_scale:.

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Security

  • Prepared and sent security release pre-notifications, and posted public reduced announcement.
  • Triaged many security reports and closed a handful of invalid ones.

Other/Misc

1 Like

Week ending 2026-07-12 (Week 28)

A welcome break after the recent rush :person_in_lotus_position:, with time to unblock smaller issues and tighten processes. We now have a “grab bag” approach to typo fixes :basket:, and I explored integration options between our tools to reduce manual work, especially around security workflows :gear:. It was meeting heavy, but a steady stint overall, with a focus on consistency and improvements that add up :plus:.

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Security

  • Engaged in multiple reports and prepared a patch for one confirmed vulnerability.
  • Investigated automations between HackerOne and GitHub,

Other/Misc

  • Weekly Fellows meeting.
  • Monthly Steering Council meeting.
  • Monthly Security Team meeting.
  • Monthly CoC WG meeting.
  • Biweekly meeting with Fellows and Board Liaison (Jeff Triplett).
1 Like

Week ending 2026-07-19 (Week 29)

Back to security-heavy work this week :ninja:. I focused on developing two fixes for confirmed vulnerabilities, and did involved reviews for other two from Jacob. There were some interesting back-and-forth to get details right :person_cartwheeling:, and since I am the designated releaser for the next August release, I also started prepping for the prenotifications and building CVE metadata :package:. To find some joy, I kept iterating on the improvements for EmailValidator :sparkles:.

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Security

  • Triaged new reports.
  • Worked on two security patches and did deep dives to review another few.
  • Started working on CVE metadata and prenotifications for confirmed vulnerabilities.

Other/Misc

3 Likes

Week ending 2026-07-26 (Week 30)

Focus this week was on the djangoproject.com email incident :e_mail::brick: and security work :locked_with_key:. I worked with Ops to diagnose and resolve the outage, addressing the source of abuse in the account registration flow. In parallel, I continued security reviews (including GeoDjango) and handled incoming reports :eye:. Overall brain ended up quite fried :brain::cooking::weary_face:.

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Security

  • Involved review of geodjango fixes, including a meeting with Jacob about this to go over details.
  • Engaged in other reports.

Other/Misc

4 Likes

Week ending 2026-08-02 (Week 31)

This week I prioritized time-sensitive security work :ninja:, including finalizing patches, preparing and validating backports, and sending pre-notifications ahead of the release. Alongside that, I focused on Tim’s “Sprint quickstart” PR :person_running: and attended meetings :headphone:. Otherwise, I spent time preparing my DjangoCon US talk (it is coming together well, even if I am a bit wary of expectations around my htmx expertise :microphone:).

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Security

  • Prepared and sent security release pre-notifications, and posted public reduced announcement.

Other/Misc

  • Weekly Fellows meeting.
  • Biweekly meeting with Fellows and Line Manager (Andrew Godwin).
  • Monthly Online Communities WG meeting.
  • Engaged in new features issues.
3 Likes

Week ending 2026-08-09 (Week 32)

This week bulk was the security release :locked_with_key:. Then, I assisted Jacob with the Django 6.1 final release :trophy: which included spending some time on translation updates and fixes, which turned into a bit of a spiral :tornado:.

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Security

Other/Misc

  • Monthly Steering Council meeting.
  • Weekly Fellows meeting.
2 Likes

Week ending 2026-08-16 (Week 33)

A bit of a transition week :counterclockwise_arrows_button:, with quite a lot of time going into debugging Trac downtimes. Thanks to @MarkusH and @tobias for pushing that investigation through to the finish line. I also dealt with a few deployment issues on djangoproject.com and the preview site, while juggling travel preparations :airplane: and getting the final pieces of my DjangoCon US talk into place :microphone:.

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Other/Misc

  • Weekly Fellows meeting.
  • Monthly Ops Team meeting.
  • Monthly Security Team meeting.
  • Biweekly meeting with Fellows and Board Liaison (Jeff Triplett).
1 Like

Week ending 2026-08-30 (Week 35)

DjangoCon US! :train::sun::busts_in_silhouette::microphone:

Week ending 2026-08-23 (Week 34)

Holidays! :beach_with_umbrella::woman_s_sandal::soft_ice_cream:

3 Likes

Week ending 2026-09-06 (Week 36)

Post-DjangoCon US week (including the emotional low :broken_heart: that comes with it), with most of my time going into two things: first, iterating on a security report until we could confirm the issue, followed by developing a solution for it. I also continued the calendar versioning work around DEP 20 :date:, including both the Django implementation and the release process updates. And, after iterating on a PR tutorial since Vigo, I finally got to see it through :see_no_evil_monkey:.

Reviewed

Authored

Security

  • Triaged new reports.
  • Deep dive and further work on a confirmed DoS attack.

Other/Misc

  • Biweekly meeting with Fellows and Board Liaison (Jeff Triplett).
  • Weekly Fellows meeting.
4 Likes

Week ending 2026-09-13 (Week 37)

A quieter week, with a mix of security work, reviews, and follow-ups from ongoing work. I spent a good chunk of time on a security report that needed a second triage, including a detailed review of the proposed patch :magnifying_glass_tilted_right:. I also wrapped up more of the follow-through from DEP 20 by adapting the release checklists to the new release calendar, and resumed a PR to make `EmailValidator` more flexible. And, in particularly happy news :partying_face:, we welcomed two new members to the Ops Team and two to the Security Team :tada: I’m thrilled to see both teams growing!

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Security

  • Deep dive on a security report initially triaged by Jacob that needed a second triage and an in-depth review of the proposed PR.

Other/Misc

  • Monthly Steering Council meeting.
  • Monthly Ops Team meeting.
  • Monthly Security Team meeting.
  • Monthly CoC WG meeting.
  • Weekly Fellows meeting.
4 Likes

Week ending 2026-09-20 (Week 38)

A review-heavy week :eyes:, with most of my time going into PR reviews across Django and djangoproject.com. I intentionally prioritized the ongoing sponsorship improvements on djangoproject.com, reviewing several related PRs from @jeff to help unblock and move that work forward :green_heart:. Alongside that, I continued work on two security patches :adhesive_bandage:, dug quite deeply into `GeneratedField` and ORM internals while triaging a new ticket, and did some follow-up around simplifying our custom Sphinx usage in the Django docs :books:.

:megaphone: Heads-up I’ll be mostly off next week since it’s spring break in Uruguay and child is school-less.

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Security

  • Continued work on two patches, one as author, and one as primary reviewer.

Other/Misc

  • Prepared and sent invoice for August hours.
  • Weekly Fellows meeting.
2 Likes

Week ending 2026-09-27 (Week 39)

I was mostly OoO (out-of-office) this week due to :cherry_blossom: Spring break :blossom: in Uruguay. We travelled :automobile: to visit family and had a wonderful time, including multiple rounds of icecream eating :soft_ice_cream:. I still prioritized attending the Security Team meeting and doing a release notes fix.

Triaged

Authored

Other/Misc

  • Biweekly Security Team meeting.
3 Likes

Week ending 2026-10-04 (Week 40)

A week of clearing paths :broom:! I focused on bringing down the untriaged ticket queue, moving the Sphinx cleanup forward by reviewing the compatibility changes and fixing related documentation issues, and helping unblock security and release-blocking work through report triage, vulnerability review, and preparations for the October 6th security release :shield:. Plenty of digging :shovel:, reviewing :eyes:, and small-but-important things moving forward :bullet_train:.

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Security

  • Engaged in triaging for new security reports.
  • Performed a review for a confirmed security vulnerability.
  • Assisted Jacob to send pre-notifications for the announced security release for October 6th,
  • Handled an internal security incident (no side effects).
  • Investigated how the Jenkins CI ↔ GitHub integration works in terms of tokens and permissions.

Other/Misc

  • Weekly Fellows meeting.
  • Monthly Online Communities WG meeting.
1 Like