Django Fellow Report - Natalia - 2024

Week ending 2024-01-07 (Week 01)

Back from holidays! I spent some time doing catch up with emails and various Django conversation platforms.

Triaged

Reviewed

Other/Misc

• Deep dive on translation machinery and related issues.

Study of 23321 (Remove .mo files from the Django Git repository) and Fixed #23321 -- Generated .mo files at setup time by claudep · Pull Request #3392 · django/django · GitHub

2 Likes

Week ending 2024-01-14 (Week 02)

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Other/Misc

Week ending 2024-01-21 (Week 03)

Triaged

Reviewed

Other/Misc

Did you drop the last digit of the first two tickets you’re reporting on here? The both refer to ticket 3511.

Yes, I’m very sorry! They are 35115 and 35110 respectively. I have edited the post. Thank you! :blush:

Week ending 2024-01-28 (Week 04)

Triaged

Reviewed

Other/Misc

Week ending 2024-02-04 (Week 05)

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Other/Misc

• Attended the Django Roadmap session organized and coordinated by Thibaud Colas. This was amazing, thank you!
  • More triage and follow up for security reports. Sent security release announcements.
  • Started work on extending the automation for fetching (only the necessary) translations from Transifex.

Week ending 2024-02-11 (Week 06)

This week I was out (very) sick for a few days. I’m now feeling better!

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Other/Misc

Week ending 2024-02-18 (Week 07)

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Other/Misc

• More fellowship conversations! Call for Django Fellow applicants closes soon.
  • Started planning for DjangoCon Europe attendance! :partying_face:
  • Watched Carlton’s talk about Know Your Limits. Super super recommended!
1 Like

Week ending 2024-02-25 (Week 08)

Intense week! I tried to push forward as many PRs as I could, mainly because next week (week 9) I’ll be “OoO” (Out of the Office). Summer school for the kids ended last Friday, and “regular” school doesn’t start until the 4th, so I need to take the week off. We’re trying to make the best of the situation by organizing a family trip! :red_car:

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Other/Misc

• Attended the Djangonauts session “Let’s become confident about Django documentation, right now”. Daniele Procida spoke about how to get confident with documentation, especially the Django one. Great stuff! I’m looking forward to the PRs derived from the group analysis.
  • Security reports/patches review.

Week ending 2024-03-03 (Week 09)

Holidays!

I did meet with Çağıl (DSF vice president) and Mariusz for our monthly catch up.

1 Like

Week ending 2024-03-10 (Week 10)

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Other/Misc

• Deep dive on Storage’s base class in preparation for a possible security release.
    • Chat with Carlton, it was so very helpful to get more context!
  • Chased and bought flight tickets to go to DjangoCon EU :airplane:

Week ending 2024-03-17 (Week 11)

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Other/Misc

Week ending 2024-03-24 (Week 12)

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Other/Misc

1 Like

Week ending 2024-03-31 (Week 13)

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Other/Misc

1 Like

Week ending 2024-04-07 (Week 14)

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Other/Misc

• Multiple chat sessions for onboarding our new fellow @sarahboyce :partying_face:
    • Pair programmingreleasing of Django 5.0.4 :loudspeaker:
    • Chat about All Security Things.
    • Review of New Feature branches pending review.
  • Various conversations about DjangoCon US.
3 Likes

Week ending 2024-04-14 (Week 15)

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Other/Misc

• Following a few outages for www.djangoproject.com and code.djangoproject.com, spent some time with Tobias configuring synthetic monitoring checks for our sites and assisted where possible the Ops team in having the sites back up.
    • By the end of the week, I also configured the Grafana alerts for the website and trac to be send to the #ops Discord channel, to the #djangoproject-uptime channel in the DSF Slack, and to the ops@… mailing list.
  • Read My Accessibility Review Checklist, completely recommended!
  • Read multiple forum threads about Python and having the “UTF-8 mode” on by default.
  • Multiple sessions pairing with @sarahboyce for doing merges, backports, and other syncs.
  • Bought conference ticket for DjangoCon Europe! :partying_face:
1 Like

Week ending 2024-04-21 (Week 16)

During this report week, I was a little sick on Thursday but luckily I recovered quickly. Resting is magical! :magic_wand:

Triaged

Reviewed

Other/Misc

• Security reports analysis and follow up on existing conversations.
  • Catch up with Sarah, we held a few sessions about making the contributor experience better, we are considering doing office hours and a few other options.
1 Like

Week ending 2024-04-26 (Week 17)

I’m sending this report earlier since next week I plan to be off Monday and Tuesday :star_struck:, and also Wednesday which is Labour day in most places (except in US and Canada I believe). See you all next Thu!

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Other/Misc

• More security emails follow up, there were a couple of reports still waiting for an official response that I handled on Monday, plus more follow ups on Friday.
  • Catch up with Cagil and Django Fellows.
  • GSoC proposal review and ranking, mentor coordination, sync chat with Thibaud and Sarah B.
1 Like