Django Login/Authenticate user by clicking email link?

Hey Everyone I am working on creating a custom EmployeeForm in which the form is for Business Administrators, to add employees. This creates a new user Account in the database. In order to give this employee access to the platform, a temporary unique password is also set for them. On creation, an email is sent to the new employees account email providing them with their email, and randomly generated password. I would like to also include a link to send them straight to the Change password view. With the click of this link, I want it to login the user, so that they don’t have to go to the login page themselves, so that they are already authenticated/logged in, and all they have to do is type in their new password.

I’m wondering if it is possible to log this user in automatically with the click of the “change password” link?

I am also wondering if there is even a possible way to not even set a random password, and allow the user to just click the email link, and they are free to set their initial password themselves. (Note: password is not a required field, so the employee account creation is possible to create without an initial password.)

class EmployeeForm(ModelForm):
    class Meta:
        model = Account # Inherits from AbstractBaseUser
        fields = ['email', 'first_name', 'last_name', 'phone_no', ]

def save(self, commit=True):

"""Generate temp PW, trigger email"""

email = self.instance.email
        temp_pass =  get_random_string()
        self.instance.set_password(temp_pass)
        self.send_temp_password()
        # Authenticate User to now Login
        authenticate(username=email, password=temp_pass)
        return super(EmployeeForm, self).save()

def send_temp_password(self):
        domain = f'https://{Site.objects.get_current().domain}'
        subject = "Temporary Password/Reset Link"
        html_message = render_to_string('password_change.txt',
                                        {'domain': domain,
                                         'email': self.instance.email,
                                         'temp_pass': self.instance.password,
                                         })
        send_mail(subject, html_message, settings.DEFAULT_FROM_EMAIL,
                      [self.instance.email, ], fail_silently=True)

I guess in general I am looking for a little direction as to the best design, and security to set this up in the most efficient way.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

The built-in password reset functions will effectively do what you want, either with it’s inherent facilities or by creating some custom views.

We have a process in one of our system where one person submits a new-user request, submitting the person’s name, email address, and some other info. A second person approves that request. Submitting an approval causes the User object to be created and generates the password reset email to be sent to that address. When the user clicks on that link, it takes them to the custom password reset page.

So the answer to this is yes. You can create a view that handles the url generated by the reset process. That view can identify who the user is and call the login function for that user, making them ‘authenticated’ to the site.

1 Like

This Django library may do something close to what you are looking for. I’ve never used it personally, but it sounds like a similar use case to the problem that is described.

1 Like

@KenWhitesell Going with Django built in password reset function did the trick fairly simply. Exactly what I needed!

Hi. I am currently trying to do something similar to this for my own website. Just like you, I am manually creating accounts for my users. After an account is created, I want an email to be sent automatically to the new username with their username, temporary password and link/suggestion to change their password.

I found on youtube this great tutorial by Dennis Ivy that seems like it will help get set this up. However I just have one issue. I am currently creating the accounts directly from the admin page rather than from a template so I am not sure which view I should set up the emailMessage in.