Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error)

Hello everyone.

I am struggling to understand what is happening here in the Console.

The following image shows what is occuring:

As a result, the “Save” button that is visible in the image does not display a new web page.

Please explain what this error is telling us. Thank you.

It’s telling you that something on the server is getting an error, like a Python exception in a view.

1 Like

Thank you Mr. Whitesell.

I wanted to show the following error when I access http://127.0.0.1:8000/exams/1/save/:

The following is what I am seeing in the terminal:

Below is the save_exam_view:

def save_exam_view(request, pk):
    if is_ajax(request):
        questions = []
        data = request.POST
        data_ = dict(data.lists())

data_.pop('csrfmiddlewaretoken')

# The keys are the questions.
        for k in data_.keys():
            print('key:', k)
            question = Question.objects.get(text=k)
            # question = ExamQuestion.objects.get(Exam_Question=k)
            questions.append(question)

print(questions)

user = request.user
        exam = Exam.objects.get(pk=pk)

exam_Score = 0
        multiplier = 100 / exam.question_Count
        results = []
        correct_answer = None

# Nested for loop where we loop through each question, and then within
        # the for loop we loop through the possible answers for that particular question.
        for q in questions:
            a_selected = request.POST.get(q.text)
            # a_selected = request.POST.get(q.Exam_Question)

if a_selected != "":
                question_answers = Answer.objects.filter(question=q)

for a in question_answers:
                    if a_selected == a.text:
                        # if a_selected == a.Exam_Answer:
                        # If the question was answered correctly, increase the score.
                        if a.correct:
                            exam_Score += 1
                            # correct_answer = a.Exam_Answer
                            correct_answer = a.text
                    else:
                        if a.correct:
                            # correct_answer = a.Exam_Answer
                            correct_answer = a.text
                results.append(
                    {str(q): {'correct_answer': correct_answer, 'answered': a_selected}})
            else:
                results.append({str(q): 'not answered'})

score_ = exam_Score * multiplier
        ExamResult.objects.create(exam=exam, user=user, exam_Score=score_)

if score_ >= exam.score_Required_To_Pass:
            return JsonResponse({'passed': True, 'exam_Score': score_, 'results': results})
        else:
            return JsonResponse({'passed': False, 'exam_Score': score_, 'results': results})

What could be the cause of this error?

I receive it when I try to submit multiple choice answers on a quiz:

What do you think this error message is telling you?

What situations do you think might cause this error?

What is this is_ajax call you’re making in that view?

I think the following error message in the terminal is telling us that the correct model for ‘Question’ does not exist inside ExamQUestions → models.py? I am not quite sure. Please explain what I am missing from my understanding.

ExamQuestions.models.Question.DoesNotExist: Question matching query does not exist.

Here is an image of where the break point was set:

I set a break point on line 193 and stepped through the code. The error message in the Console appears after I step out of the following event listener on line 195:

examForm.addEventListener('submit', event=>{
    event.preventDefault()

sendData()
})

Then I see the following under ‘Sources’:

!function(e,t){"use strict";"object"==typeof module&&"object"==typeof module.exports?module.exports=e.document?t(e,!0):function(e){if(!e.document)throw new Error("jQuery requires a window with a document");return t(e)}:t(e)}("undefined"!=typeof window?window:this,function(C,e){"use strict";var t=[],r=Object.getPrototypeOf,s=t.slice,g=t.flat?function(e){return t.flat.call(e)}:function(e){return t.concat.apply([],e)},u=t.push,i=t.indexOf,n={},o=n.toString,v=n.hasOwnProperty,a=v.toString,l=a.call(Object),y={},m=function(e){return"function"==typeof e&&"number"!=typeof e.nodeType},x=function(e){return null!=e&&e===e.window},E=C.document,c={type:!0,src:!0,nonce:!0,noModule:!0};function b(e,t,n){var r,i,o=(n=n||E).createElement("script");if(o.text=e,t)for(r in c)(i=t[r]||t.getAttribute&&t.getAttribute(r))&&o.setAttribute(r,i);n.head.appendChild(o).parentNode.removeChild(o)}function w(e){return null==e?e+"":"object"==typeof e||"function"==typeof e?n[o.call(e)]||"object":typeof e}var f="3.5.1",S=function(e,t){return new S.fn.init(e,t)};function p(e){var t=!!e&&"length"in e&&e.length,n=w(e);return!m(e)&&!x(e)&&("array"===n||0===t||"number"==typeof t&&0<t&&t-1 in e)}S.fn=S.prototype={jquery:f,constructor:S,length:0,toArray:function(){return s.call(this)},get:function(e){return null==e?s.call(this):e<0?this[e+this.length]:this[e]},pushStack:function(e){var t=S.merge(this.constructor(),e);return t.prevObject=this,t},each:function(e){return S.each(this,e)},map:function(n){return this.pushStack(S.map(this,function(e,t){return n.call(e,t,e)}))},slice:function(){return this.pushStack(s.apply(this,arguments))},first:function(){return this.eq(0)},last:function(){return this.eq(-1)},even:function(){return this.pushStack(S.grep(this,function(e,t){return(t+1)%2}))},odd:function(){return this.pushStack(S.grep(this,function(e,t){return t%2}))},eq:function(e){var t=this.length,n=+e+(e<0?t:0);return this.pushStack(0<=n&&n<t?[this[n]]:[])},end:function(){return this.prevObject||this.constructor()},push:u,sort:t.sort,splice:t.splice},S.extend=S.fn.extend=function(){var e,t,n,r,i,o,a=arguments[0]||{},s=1,u=arguments.length,l=!1;for("boolean"==typeof a&&(l=a,a=arguments[s]||{},s++),"object"==typeof a||m(a)||(a={}),s===u&&(a=this,s--);s<u;s++)if(null!=(e=arguments[s]))for(t in e)r=e[t],"__proto__"!==t&&a!==r&&(l&&r&&(S.isPlainObject(r)||(i=Array.isArray(r)))?(n=a[t],o=i&&!Array.isArray(n)?[]:i||S.isPlainObject(n)?n:{},i=!1,a[t]=S.extend(l,o,r)):void 0!==r&&(a[t]=r));return a},S.extend({expando:"jQuery"+(f+Math.random()).replace(/\D/g,""),isReady:!0,error:function(e){throw new Error(e)},noop:function(){},isPlainObject:function(e){var t,n;return!(!e||"[object Object]"!==o.call(e))&&(!(t=r(e))||"function"==typeof(n=v.call(t,"constructor")&&t.constructor)&&a.call(n)===l)},isEmptyObject:function(e){var t;for(t in e)return!1;return!0},globalEval:function(e,t,n){b(e,{nonce:t&&t.nonce},n)},each:function(e,t){var n,r=0;if(p(e)){for(n=e.length;r<n;r++)if(!1===t.call(e[r],r,e[r]))break}else for(r in e)if(!1===t.call(e[r],r,e[r]))break;return e},makeArray:function(e,t){var n=t||[];return null!=e&&(p(Object(e))?S.merge(n,"string"==typeof e?[e]:e):u.call(n,e)),n},inArray:function(e,t,n){return null==t?-1:i.call(t,e,n)},merge:function(e,t){for(var n=+t.length,r=0,i=e.length;r<n;r++)e[i++]=t[r];return e.length=i,e},grep:function(e,t,n){for(var r=[],i=0,o=e.length,a=!n;i<o;i++)!t(e[i],i)!==a&&r.push(e[i]);return r},map:function(e,t,n){var r,i,o=0,a=[];if(p(e))for(r=e.length;o<r;o++)null!=(i=t(e[o],o,n))&&a.push(i);else for(o in e)null!=(i=t(e[o],o,n))&&a.push(i);return g(a)},guid:1,support:y}),"function"==typeof Symbol&&(S.fn[Symbol.iterator]=t[Symbol.iterator]),S.each("Boolean Number String Function Array Date RegExp Object Error Symbol".split(" "),function(e,t){n["[object "+t+"]"]=t.toLowerCase()});var d=function(n){var e,d,b,o,i,h,f,g,w,u,l,T,C,a,E,v,s,c,y,S="sizzle"+1*new Date,p=n.document,k=0,r=0,m=ue(),x=ue(),A=ue(),N=ue(),D=function(e,t){return e===t&&(l=!0),0},j={}.hasOwnProperty,t=[],q=t.pop,L=t.push,H=t.push,O=t.slice,P=function(e,t){for(var n=0,r=e.length;n<r;n++)if(e[n]===t)return n;return-1},R="checked|selected|async|autofocus|autoplay|controls|defer|disabled|hidden|ismap|loop|multiple|open|readonly|required|scoped",M="[\\x20\\t\\r\\n\\f]",I="(?:\\\\[\\da-fA-F]{1,6}"+M+"?|\\\\[^\\r\\n\\f]|[\\w-]|[^\0-\\x7f])+",W="\\["+M+"*("+I+")(?:"+M+"*([*^$|!~]?=)"+M+"*(?:'((?:\\\\.|[^\\\\'])*)'|\"((?:\\\\.|[^\\\\\"])*)\"|("+I+"))|)"+M+"*\\]",F=":("+I+")(?:\\((('((?:\\\\.|[^\\\\'])*)'|\"((?:\\\\.|[^\\\\\"])*)\")|((?:\\\\.|[^\\\\()[\\]]|"+W+")*)|.*)\\)|)",B=new RegExp(M+"+","g"),$=new RegExp("^"+M+"+|((?:^|[^\\\\])(?:\\\\.)*)"+M+"+$","g"),_=new RegExp("^"+M+"*,"+M+"*"),z=new RegExp("^"+M+"*([>+~]|"+M+")"+M+"*"),U=new RegExp(M+"|>"),X=new RegExp(F),V=new RegExp("^"+I+"$"),G={ID:new RegExp("^#("+I+")"),CLASS:new RegExp("^\\.("+I+")"),TAG:new RegExp("^("+I+"|[*])"),ATTR:new RegExp("^"+W),PSEUDO:new RegExp("^"+F),CHILD:new RegExp("^:(only|first|last|nth|nth-last)-(child|of-type)(?:\\("+M+"*(even|odd|(([+-]|)(\\d*)n|)"+M+"*(?:([+-]|)"+M+"*(\\d+)|))"+M+"*\\)|)","i"),bool:new RegExp("^(?:"+R+")$","i"),needsContext:new RegExp("^"+M+"*[>+~]|:(even|odd|eq|gt|lt|nth|first|last)(?:\\("+M+"*((?:-\\d)?\\d*)"+M+"*\\)|)(?=[^-]|$)","i")},Y=/HTML$/i,Q=/^(?:input|select|textarea|button)$/i,J=/^h\d$/i,K=/^[^{]+\{\s*\[native \w/,Z=/^(?:#([\w-]+)|(\w+)|\.([\w-]+))$/,ee=/[+~]/,te=new RegExp("\\\\[\\da-fA-F]{1,6}"+M+"?|\\\\([^\\r\\n\\f])","g"),ne=function(e,t){var n="0x"+e.slice(1)-65536;return t||(n<0?String.fromCharCode(n+65536):String.fromCharCode(n>>10|55296,1023&n|56320))},re=/([\0-\x1f\x7f]|^-?\d)|^-$|[^\0-\x1f\x7f-\uFFFF\w-]/g,ie=function(e,t){return t?"\0"===e?"\ufffd":e.slice(0,-1)+"\\"+e.charCodeAt(e.length-1).toString(16)+" ":"\\"+e},oe=function(){T()},ae=be(function(e){return!0===e.disabled&&"fieldset"===e.nodeName.toLowerCase()},{dir:"parentNode",next:"legend"});try{H.apply(t=O.call(p.childNodes),p.childNodes),t[p.childNodes.length].nodeType}catch(e){H={apply:t.length?function(e,t){L.apply(e,O.call(t))}:function(e,t){var n=e.length,r=0;while(e[n++]=t[r++]);e.length=n-1}}}function se(t,e,n,r){var i,o,a,s,u,l,c,f=e&&e.ownerDocument,p=e?e.nodeType:9;if(n=n||[],"string"!=typeof t||!t||1!==p&&9!==p&&11!==p)return n;if(!r&&(T(e),e=e||C,E)){if(11!==p&&(u=Z.exec(t)))if(i=u[1]){if(9===p){if(!(a=e.getElementById(i)))return n;if(a.id===i)return n.push(a),n}else if(f&&(a=f.getElementById(i))&&y(e,a)&&a.id===i)return n.push(a),n}else{if(u[2])return H.apply(n,e.getElementsByTagName(t)),n;if((i=u[3])&&d.getElementsByClassName&&e.getElementsByClassName)return H.apply(n,e.getElementsByClassName(i)),n}if(d.qsa&&!N[t+" "]&&(!v||!v.test(t))&&(1!==p||"object"!==e.nodeName.toLowerCase())){if(c=t,f=e,1===p&&(U.test(t)||z.test(t))){(f=ee.test(t)&&ye(e.parentNode)||e)===e&&d.scope||((s=e.getAttribute("id"))?s=s.replace(re,ie):e.setAttribute("id",s=S)),o=(l=h(t)).length;while(o--)l[o]=(s?"#"+s:":scope")+" "+xe(l[o]);c=l.join(",")}try{return H.apply(n,f.querySelectorAll(c)),n}catch(e){N(t,!0)}finally{s===S&&e.removeAttribute("id")}}}return g(t.replace($,"$1"),e,n,r)}function ue(){var r=[];return function e(t,n){return r.push(t+" ")>b.cacheLength&&delete e[r.shift()],e[t+" "]=n}}function le(e){return e[S]=!0,e}function ce(e){var t=C.createElement("fieldset");try{return!!e(t)}catch(e){return!1}finally{t.parentNode&&t.parentNode.removeChild(t),t=null}}function fe(e,t){var n=e.split("|"),r=n.length;while(r--)b.attrHandle[n[r]]=t}function pe(e,t){var n=t&&e,r=n&&1===e.nodeType&&1===t.nodeType&&e.sourceIndex-t.sourceIndex;if(r)return r;if(n)while(n=n.nextSibling)if(n===t)return-1;return e?1:-1}function de(t){return function(e){return"input"===e.nodeName.toLowerCase()&&e.type===t}}function he(n){return function(e){var t=e.nodeName.toLowerCase();return("input"===t||"button"===t)&&e.type===n}}function ge(t){return function(e){return"form"in e?e.parentNode&&!1===e.disabled?"label"in e?"label"in e.parentNode?e.parentNode.disabled===t:e.disabled===t:e.isDisabled===t||e.isDisabled!==!t&&ae(e)===t:e.disabled===t:"label"in e&&e.disabled===t}}function ve(a){return le(function(o){return o=+o,le(function(e,t){var n,r=a([],e.length,o),i=r.length;while(i--)e[n=r[i]]&&(e[n]=!(t[n]=e[n]))})})}function ye(e){return e&&"undefined"!=typeof e.getElementsByTagName&&e}for(e in d=se.support={},i=se.isXML=function(e){var t=e.namespaceURI,n=(e.ownerDocument||e).documentElement;return!Y.test(t||n&&n.nodeName||"HTML")},T=se.setDocument=function(e){var t,n,r=e?e.ownerDocument||e:p;return r!=C&&9===r.nodeType&&r.documentElement&&(a=(C=r).documentElement,E=!i(C),p!=C&&(n=C.defaultView)&&n.top!==n&&(n.addEventListener?n.addEventListener("unload",oe,!1):n.attachEvent&&n.attachEvent("onunload",oe)),d.scope=ce(function(e){return a.appendChild(e).appendChild(C.createElement("div")),"undefined"!=typeof e.querySelectorAll&&!e.querySelectorAll(":scope fieldset div").length}),d.attributes=ce(function(e){return e.className="i",!e.getAttribute("className")}),d.getElementsByTagName=ce(function(e){return e.appendChild(C.createComment("")),!e.getElementsByTagName("*").length}),d.getElementsByClassName=K.test(C.getElementsByClassName),d.getById=ce(function(e){return a.appendChild(e).id=S,!C.getElementsByName||!C.getElementsByName(S).length}),d.getById?(b.filter.ID=function(e){var t=e.replace(te,ne);return function(e){return e.getAttribute("id")===t}},b.find.ID=function(e,t){if("undefined"!=typeof t.getElementById&&E){var n=t.getElementById(e);return n?[n]:[]}}):(b.filter.ID=function(e){var n=e.replace(te,ne);return function(e){var t="undefined"!=typeof e.getAttributeNode&&e.getAttributeNode("id");return t&&t.value===n}},b.find.ID=function(e,t){if("undefined"!=typeof t.getElementById&&E){var n,r,i,o=t.getElementById(e);if(o){if((n=o.getAttributeNode("id"))&&n.value===e)return[o];i=t.getElementsByName(e),r=0;while(o=i[r++])if((n=o.getAttributeNode("id"))&&n.value===e)return[o]}return[]}}),b.find.TAG=d.getElementsByTagName?function(e,t){return"undefined"!=typeof t.getElementsByTagName?t.getElementsByTagName(e):d.qsa?t.querySelectorAll(e):void 0}:function(e,t){var n,r=[],i=0,o=t.getElementsByTagName(e);if("*"===e){while(n=o[i++])1===n.nodeType&&r.push(n);return r}return o},b.find.CLASS=d.getElementsByClassName&&function(e,t){if("undefined"!=typeof t.getElementsByClassName&&E)return t.getElementsByClassName(e)},s=[],v=[],(d.qsa=K.test(C.querySelectorAll))&&(ce(function(e){var t;a.appendChild(e).innerHTML="<a id='"+S+"'></a><select id='"+S+"-\r\\' msallowcapture=''><option selected=''></option></select>",e.querySelectorAll("[msallowcapture^='']").length&&v.push("[*^$]="+M+"*(?:''|\"\")"),e.querySelectorAll("[selected]").length||v.push("\\["+M+"*(?:value|"+R+")"),e.querySelectorAll("[id~="+S+"-]").length||v.push("~="),(t=C.createElement("input")).setAttribute("name",""),e.appendChild(t),e.querySelectorAll("[name='']").length||v.push("\\["+M+"*name"+M+"*="+M+"*(?:''|\"\")"),e.querySelectorAll(":checked").length||v.push(":checked"),e.querySelectorAll("a#"+S+"+*").length||v.push(".#.+[+~]"),e.querySelectorAll("\\\f"),v.push("[\\r\\n\\f]")}),ce(function(e){e.innerHTML="<a href='' disabled='disabled'></a><select disabled='disabled'><option/></select>";var t=C.createElement("input");t.setAttribute("type","hidden"),e.appendChild(t).setAttribute("name","D"),e.querySelectorAll("[name=d]").length&&v.push("name"+M+"*[*^$|!~]?="),2!==e.querySelectorAll(":enabled").length&&v.push(":enabled",":disabled"),a.appendChild(e).disabled=!0,2!==e.querySelectorAll(":disabled").length&&v.push(":enabled",":disabled"),e.querySelectorAll("*,:x"),v.push(",.*:")})),(d.matchesSelector=K.test(c=a.matches||a.webkitMatchesSelector||a.mozMatchesSelector||a.oMatchesSelector||a.msMatchesSelector))&&ce(function(e){d.disconnectedMatch=c.call(e,"*"),c.call(e,"[s!='']:x"),s.push("!=",F)}),v=v.length&&new RegExp(v.join("|")),s=s.length&&new RegExp(s.join("|")),t=K.test(a.compareDocumentPosition),y=t||K.test(a.contains)?function(e,t){var n=9===e.nodeType?e.documentElement:e,r=t&&t.parentNode;return e===r||!(!r||1!==r.nodeType||!(n.contains?n.contains(r):e.compareDocumentPosition&&16&e.compareDocumentPosition(r)))}:function(e,t){if(t)while(t=t.parentNode)if(t===e)return!0;return!1},D=t?function(e,t){if(e===t)return l=!0,0;var n=!e.compareDocumentPosition-!t.compareDocumentPosition;return n||(1&(n=(e.ownerDocument||e)==(t.ownerDocument||t)?e.compareDocumentPosition(t):1)||!d.sortDetached&&t.compareDocumentPosition(e)===n?e==C||e.ownerDocument==p&&y(p,e)?-1:t==C||t.ownerDocument==p&&y(p,t)?1:u?P(u,e)-P(u,t):0:4&n?-1:1)}:function(e,t){if(e===t)return l=!0,0;var n,r=0,i=e.parentNode,o=t.parentNode,a=[e],s=[t];if(!i||!o)return e==C?-1:t==C?1:i?-1:o?1:u?P(u,e)-P(u,t):0;if(i===o)return pe(e,t);n=e;while(n=n.parentNode)a.unshift(n);n=t;while(n=n.parentNode)s.unshift(n);while(a[r]===s[r])r++;return r?pe(a[r],s[r]):a[r]==p?-1:s[r]==p?1:0}),C},se.matches=function(e,t){return se(e,null,null,t)},se.matchesSelector=function(e,t){if(T(e),d.matchesSelector&&E&&!N[t+" "]&&(!s||!s.test(t))&&(!v||!v.test(t)))try{var n=c.call(e,t);if(n||d.disconnectedMatch||e.document&&11!==e.document.nodeType)return n}catch(e){N(t,!0)}return 0<se(t,C,null,[e]).length},se.contains=function(e,t){return(e.ownerDocument||e)!=C&&T(e),y(e,t)},se.attr=function(e,t){(e.ownerDocument||e)!=C&&T(e);var n=b.attrHandle[t.toLowerCase()],r=n&&j.call(b.attrHandle,t.toLowerCase())?n(e,t,!E):void 0;return void 0!==r?r:d.attributes||!E?e.getAttribute(t):(r=e.getAttributeNode(t))&&r.specified?r.value:null},se.escape=function(e){return(e+"").replace(re,ie)},se.error=function(e){throw new Error("Syntax error, unrecognized expression: "+e)},se.uniqueSort=function(e){var t,n=[],r=0,i=0;if(l=!d.detectDuplicates,u=!d.sortStable&&e.slice(0),e.sort(D),l){while(t=e[i++])t===e[i]&&(r=n.push(i));while(r--)e.splice(n[r],1)}return u=null,e},o=se.getText=function(e){var t,n="",r=0,i=e.nodeType;if(i){if(1===i||9===i||11===i){if("string"==typeof e.textContent)return e.textContent;for(e=e.firstChild;e;e=e.nextSibling)n+=o(e)}else if(3===i||4===i)return e.nodeValue}else while(t=e[r++])n+=o(t);return n},(b=se.selectors={cacheLength:50,createPseudo:le,match:G,attrHandle:{},find:{},relative:{">":{dir:"parentNode",first:!0}," ":{dir:"parentNode"},"+":{dir:"previousSibling",first:!0},"~":{dir:"previousSibling"}},preFilter:{ATTR:function(e){return e[1]=e[1].replace(te,ne),e[3]=(e[3]||e[4]||e[5]||"").replace(te,ne),"~="===e[2]&&(e[3]=" "+e[3]+" "),e.slice(0,4)},CHILD:function(e){return e[1]=e[1].toLowerCase(),"nth"===e[1].slice(0,3)?(e[3]||se.error(e[0]),e[4]=+(e[4]?e[5]+(e[6]||1):2*("even"===e[3]||"odd"===e[3])),e[5]=+(e[7]+e[8]||"odd"===e[3])):e[3]&&se.error(e[0]),e},PSEUDO:function(e){var t,n=!e[6]&&e[2];return G.CHILD.test(e[0])?null:(e[3]?e[2]=e[4]||e[5]||"":n&&X.test(n)&&(t=h(n,!0))&&(t=n.indexOf(")",n.length-t)-n.length)&&(e[0]=e[0].slice(0,t),e[2]=n.slice(0,t)),e.slice(0,3))}},filter:{TAG:function(e){var t=e.replace(te,ne).toLowerCase();return"*"===e?function(){return!0}:function(e){return e.nodeName&&e.nodeName.toLowerCase()===t}},CLASS:function(e){var t=m[e+" "];return t||(t=new RegExp("(^|"+M+")"+e+"("+M+"|$)"))&&m(e,function(e){return t.test("string"==typeof e.className&&e.className||"undefined"!=typeof e.getAttribute&&e.getAttribute("class")||"")})},ATTR:function(n,r,i){return function(e){var t=se.attr(e,n);return null==t?"!="===r:!r||(t+="","="===r?t===i:"!="===r?t!==i:"^="===r?i&&0===t.indexOf(i):"*="===r?i&&-1<t.indexOf(i):"$="===r?i&&t.slice(-i.length)===i:"~="===r?-1<(" "+t.replace(B," ")+" ").indexOf(i):"|="===r&&(t===i||t.slice(0,i.length+1)===i+"-"))}},CHILD:function(h,e,t,g,v){var y="nth"!==h.slice(0,3),m="last"!==h.slice(-4),x="of-type"===e;return 1===g&&0===v?function(e){return!!e.parentNode}:function(e,t,n){var r,i,o,a,s,u,l=y!==m?"nextSibling":"previousSibling",c=e.parentNode,f=x&&e.nodeName.toLowerCase(),p=!n&&!x,d=!1;if(c){if(y){while(l){a=e;while(a=a[l])if(x?a.nodeName.toLowerCase()===f:1===a.nodeType)return!1;u=l="only"===h&&!u&&"nextSibling"}return!0}if(u=[m?c.firstChild:c.lastChild],m&&p){d=(s=(r=(i=(o=(a=c)[S]||(a[S]={}))[a.uniqueID]||(o[a.uniqueID]={}))[h]||[])[0]===k&&r[1])&&r[2],a=s&&c.childNodes[s];while(a=++s&&a&&a[l]||(d=s=0)||u.pop())if(1===a.nodeType&&++d&&a===e){i[h]=[k,s,d];break}}else if(p&&(d=s=(r=(i=(o=(a=e)[S]||(a[S]={}))[a.uniqueID]||(o[a.uniqueID]={}))[h]||[])[0]===k&&r[1]),!1===d)while(a=++s&&a&&a[l]||(d=s=0)||u.pop())if((x?a.nodeName.toLowerCase()===f:1===a.nodeType)&&++d&&(p&&((i=(o=a[S]||(a[S]={}))[a.uniqueID]||(o[a.uniqueID]={}))[h]=[k,d]),a===e))break;return(d-=v)===g||d%g==0&&0<=d/g}}},PSEUDO:function(e,o){var t,a=b.pseudos[e]||b.setFilters[e.toLowerCase()]||se.error("unsupported pseudo: "+e);return a[S]?a(o):1<a.length?(t=[e,e,"",o],b.setFilters.hasOwnProperty(e.toLowerCase())?le(function(e,t){var n,r=a(e,o),i=r.length;while(i--)e[n=P(e,r[i])]=!(t[n]=r[i])}):function(e){return a(e,0,t)}):a}},pseudos:{not:le(function(e){var r=[],i=[],s=f(e.replace($,"$1"));return s[S]?le(function(e,t,n,r){var i,o=s(e,null,r,[]),a=e.length;while(a--)(i=o[a])&&(e[a]=!(t[a]=i))}):function(e,t,n){return r[0]=e,s(r,null,n,i),r[0]=null,!i.pop()}}),has:le(function(t){return function(e){return 0<se(t,e).length}}),contains:le(function(t){return t=t.replace(te,ne),function(e){return-1<(e.textContent||o(e)).indexOf(t)}}),lang:le(function(n){return V.test(n||"")||se.error("unsupported lang: "+n),n=n.replace(te,ne).toLowerCase(),function(e){var t;do{if(t=E?e.lang:e.getAttribute("xml:lang")||e.getAttribute("lang"))return(t=t.toLowerCase())===n||0===t.indexOf(n+"-")}while((e=e.parentNode)&&1===e.nodeType);return!1}}),target:function(e){var t=n.location&&n.location.hash;return t&&t.slice(1)===e.id},root:function(e){return e===a},focus:function(e){return e===C.activeElement&&(!C.hasFocus||C.hasFocus())&&!!(e.type||e.href||~e.tabIndex)},enabled:ge(!1),disabled:ge(!0),checked:function(e){var t=e.nodeName.toLowerCase();return"input"===t&&!!e.checked||"option"===t&&!!e.selected},selected:function(e){return e.parentNode&&e.parentNode.selectedIndex,!0===e.selected},empty:function(e){for(e=e.firstChild;e;e=e.nextSibling)if(e.nodeType<6)return!1;return!0},parent:function(e){return!b.pseudos.empty(e)},header:function(e){return J.test(e.nodeName)},input:function(e){return Q.test(e.nodeName)},button:function(e){var t=e.nodeName.toLowerCase();return"input"===t&&"button"===e.type||"button"===t},text:function(e){var t;return"input"===e.nodeName.toLowerCase()&&"text"===e.type&&(null==(t=e.getAttribute("type"))||"text"===t.toLowerCase())},first:ve(function(){return[0]}),last:ve(function(e,t){return[t-1]}),eq:ve(function(e,t,n){return[n<0?n+t:n]}),even:ve(function(e,t){for(var n=0;n<t;n+=2)e.push(n);return e}),odd:ve(function(e,t){for(var n=1;n<t;n+=2)e.push(n);return e}),lt:ve(function(e,t,n){for(var r=n<0?n+t:t<n?t:n;0<=--r;)e.push(r);return e}),gt:ve(function(e,t,n){for(var r=n<0?n+t:n;++r<t;)e.push(r);return e})}}).pseudos.nth=b.pseudos.eq,{radio:!0,checkbox:!0,file:!0,password:!0,image:!0})b.pseudos[e]=de(e);for(e in{submit:!0,reset:!0})b.pseudos[e]=he(e);function me(){}function xe(e){for(var t=0,n=e.length,r="";t<n;t++)r+=e[t].value;return r}function be(s,e,t){var u=e.dir,l=e.next,c=l||u,f=t&&"parentNode"===c,p=r++;return e.first?function(e,t,n){while(e=e[u])if(1===e.nodeType||f)return s(e,t,n);return!1}:function(e,t,n){var r,i,o,a=[k,p];if(n){while(e=e[u])if((1===e.nodeType||f)&&s(e,t,n))return!0}else while(e=e[u])if(1===e.nodeType||f)if(i=(o=e[S]||(e[S]={}))[e.uniqueID]||(o[e.uniqueID]={}),l&&l===e.nodeName.toLowerCase())e=e[u]||e;else{if((r=i[c])&&r[0]===k&&r[1]===p)return a[2]=r[2];if((i[c]=a)[2]=s(e,t,n))return!0}return!1}}function we(i){return 1<i.length?function(e,t,n){var r=i.length;while(r--)if(!i[r](e,t,n))return!1;return!0}:i[0]}function Te(e,t,n,r,i){for(var o,a=[],s=0,u=e.length,l=null!=t;s<u;s++)(o=e[s])&&(n&&!n(o,r,i)||(a.push(o),l&&t.push(s)));return a}function Ce(d,h,g,v,y,e){return v&&!v[S]&&(v=Ce(v)),y&&!y[S]&&(y=Ce(y,e)),le(function(e,t,n,r){var i,o,a,s=[],u=[],l=t.length,c=e||function(e,t,n){for(var r=0,i=t.length;r<i;r++)se(e,t[r],n);return n}(h||"*",n.nodeType?[n]:n,[]),f=!d||!e&&h?c:Te(c,s,d,n,r),p=g?y||(e?d:l||v)?[]:t:f;if(g&&g(f,p,n,r),v){i=Te(p,u),v(i,[],n,r),o=i.length;while(o--)(a=i[o])&&(p[u[o]]=!(f[u[o]]=a))}if(e){if(y||d){if(y){i=[],o=p.length;while(o--)(a=p[o])&&i.push(f[o]=a);y(null,p=[],i,r)}o=p.length;while(o--)(a=p[o])&&-1<(i=y?P(e,a):s[o])&&(e[i]=!(t[i]=a))}}else p=Te(p===t?p.splice(l,p.length):p),y?y(null,t,p,r):H.apply(t,p)})}function Ee(e){for(var i,t,n,r=e.length,o=b.relative[e[0].type],a=o||b.relative[" "],s=o?1:0,u=be(function(e){return e===i},a,!0),l=be(function(e){return-1<P(i,e)},a,!0),c=[function(e,t,n){var r=!o&&(n||t!==w)||((i=t).nodeType?u(e,t,n):l(e,t,n));return i=null,r}];s<r;s++)if(t=b.relative[e[s].type])c=[be(we(c),t)];else{if((t=b.filter[e[s].type].apply(null,e[s].matches))[S]){for(n=++s;n<r;n++)if(b.relative[e[n].type])break;return Ce(1<s&&we(c),1<s&&xe(e.slice(0,s-1).concat({value:" "===e[s-2].type?"*":""})).replace($,"$1"),t,s<n&&Ee(e.slice(s,n)),n<r&&Ee(e=e.slice(n)),n<r&&xe(e))}c.push(t)}return we(c)}return me.prototype=b.filters=b.pseudos,b.setFilters=new me,h=se.tokenize=function(e,t){var n,r,i,o,a,s,u,l=x[e+" "];if(l)return t?0:l.slice(0);a=e,s=[],u=b.preFilter;while(a){for(o in n&&!(r=_.exec(a))||(r&&(a=a.slice(r[0].length)||a),s.push(i=[])),n=!1,(r=z.exec(a))&&(n=r.shift(),i.push({value:n,type:r[0].replace($," ")}),a=a.slice(n.length)),b.filter)!(r=G[o].exec(a))||u[o]&&!(r=u[o](r))||(n=r.shift(),i.push({value:n,type:o,matches:r}),a=a.slice(n.length));if(!n)break}return t?a.length:a?se.error(e):x(e,s).slice(0)},f=se.compile=function(e,t){var n,v,y,m,x,r,i=[],o=[],a=A[e+" "];if(!a){t||(t=h(e)),n=t.length;while(n--)(a=Ee(t[n]))[S]?i.push(a):o.push(a);(a=A(e,(v=o,m=0<(y=i).length,x=0<v.length,r=function(e,t,n,r,i){var o,a,s,u=0,l="0",c=e&&[],f=[],p=w,d=e||x&&b.find.TAG("*",i),h=k+=null==p?1:Math.random()||.1,g=d.length;for(i&&(w=t==C||t||i);l!==g&&null!=(o=d[l]);l++){if(x&&o){a=0,t||o.ownerDocument==C||(T(o),n=!E);while(s=v[a++])if(s(o,t||C,n)){r.push(o);break}i&&(k=h)}m&&((o=!s&&o)&&u--,e&&c.push(o))}if(u+=l,m&&l!==u){a=0;while(s=y[a++])s(c,f,t,n);if(e){if(0<u)while(l--)c[l]||f[l]||(f[l]=q.call(r));f=Te(f)}H.apply(r,f),i&&!e&&0<f.length&&1<u+y.length&&se.uniqueSort(r)}return i&&(k=h,w=p),c},m?le(r):r))).selector=e}return a},g=se.select=function(e,t,n,r){var i,o,a,s,u,l="function"==typeof e&&e,c=!r&&h(e=l.selector||e);if(n=n||[],1===c.length){if(2<(o=c[0]=c[0].slice(0)).length&&"ID"===(a=o[0]).type&&9===t.nodeType&&E&&b.relative[o[1].type]){if(!(t=(b.find.ID(a.matches[0].replace(te,ne),t)||[])[0]))return n;l&&(t=t.parentNode),e=e.slice(o.shift().value.length)}i=G.needsContext.test(e)?0:o.length;while(i--){if(a=o[i],b.relative[s=a.type])break;if((u=b.find[s])&&(r=u(a.matches[0].replace(te,ne),ee.test(o[0].type)&&ye(t.parentNode)||t))){if(o.splice(i,1),!(e=r.length&&xe(o)))return H.apply(n,r),n;break}}}return(l||f(e,c))(r,t,!E,n,!t||ee.test(e)&&ye(t.parentNode)||t),n},d.sortStable=S.split("").sort(D).join("")===S,d.detectDuplicates=!!l,T(),d.sortDetached=ce(function(e){return 1&e.compareDocumentPosition(C.createElement("fieldset"))}),ce(function(e){return e.innerHTML="<a href='#'></a>","#"===e.firstChild.getAttribute("href")})||fe("type|href|height|width",function(e,t,n){if(!n)return e.getAttribute(t,"type"===t.toLowerCase()?1:2)}),d.attributes&&ce(function(e){return e.innerHTML="<input/>",e.firstChild.setAttribute("value",""),""===e.firstChild.getAttribute("value")})||fe("value",function(e,t,n){if(!n&&"input"===e.nodeName.toLowerCase())return e.defaultValue}),ce(function(e){return null==e.getAttribute("disabled")})||fe(R,function(e,t,n){var r;if(!n)return!0===e[t]?t.toLowerCase():(r=e.getAttributeNode(t))&&r.specified?r.value:null}),se}(C);S.find=d,S.expr=d.selectors,S.expr[":"]=S.expr.pseudos,S.uniqueSort=S.unique=d.uniqueSort,S.text=d.getText,S.isXMLDoc=d.isXML,S.contains=d.contains,S.escapeSelector=d.escape;var h=function(e,t,n){var r=[],i=void 0!==n;while((e=e[t])&&9!==e.nodeType)if(1===e.nodeType){if(i&&S(e).is(n))break;r.push(e)}return r},T=function(e,t){for(var n=[];e;e=e.nextSibling)1===e.nodeType&&e!==t&&n.push(e);return n},k=S.expr.match.needsContext;function A(e,t){return e.nodeName&&e.nodeName.toLowerCase()===t.toLowerCase()}var N=/^<([a-z][^\/\0>:\x20\t\r\n\f]*)[\x20\t\r\n\f]*\/?>(?:<\/\1>|)$/i;function D(e,n,r){return m(n)?S.grep(e,function(e,t){return!!n.call(e,t,e)!==r}):n.nodeType?S.grep(e,function(e){return e===n!==r}):"string"!=typeof n?S.grep(e,function(e){return-1<i.call(n,e)!==r}):S.filter(n,e,r)}S.filter=function(e,t,n){var r=t[0];return n&&(e=":not("+e+")"),1===t.length&&1===r.nodeType?S.find.matchesSelector(r,e)?[r]:[]:S.find.matches(e,S.grep(t,function(e){return 1===e.nodeType}))},S.fn.extend({find:function(e){var t,n,r=this.length,i=this;if("string"!=typeof e)return this.pushStack(S(e).filter(function(){for(t=0;t<r;t++)if(S.contains(i[t],this))return!0}));for(n=this.pushStack([]),t=0;t<r;t++)S.find(e,i[t],n);return 1<r?S.uniqueSort(n):n},filter:function(e){return this.pushStack(D(this,e||[],!1))},not:function(e){return this.pushStack(D(this,e||[],!0))},is:function(e){return!!D(this,"string"==typeof e&&k.test(e)?S(e):e||[],!1).length}});var j,q=/^(?:\s*(<[\w\W]+>)[^>]*|#([\w-]+))$/;(S.fn.init=function(e,t,n){var r,i;if(!e)return this;if(n=n||j,"string"==typeof e){if(!(r="<"===e[0]&&">"===e[e.length-1]&&3<=e.length?[null,e,null]:q.exec(e))||!r[1]&&t)return!t||t.jquery?(t||n).find(e):this.constructor(t).find(e);if(r[1]){if(t=t instanceof S?t[0]:t,S.merge(this,S.parseHTML(r[1],t&&t.nodeType?t.ownerDocument||t:E,!0)),N.test(r[1])&&S.isPlainObject(t))for(r in t)m(this[r])?this[r](t[r]):this.attr(r,t[r]);return this}return(i=E.getElementById(r[2]))&&(this[0]=i,this.length=1),this}return e.nodeType?(this[0]=e,this.length=1,this):m(e)?void 0!==n.ready?n.ready(e):e(S):S.makeArray(e,this)}).prototype=S.fn,j=S(E);var L=/^(?:parents|prev(?:Until|All))/,H={children:!0,contents:!0,next:!0,prev:!0};function O(e,t){while((e=e[t])&&1!==e.nodeType);return e}S.fn.extend({has:function(e){var t=S(e,this),n=t.length;return this.filter(function(){for(var e=0;e<n;e++)if(S.contains(this,t[e]))return!0})},closest:function(e,t){var n,r=0,i=this.length,o=[],a="string"!=typeof e&&S(e);if(!kv.data)&&(f+=(Et.test(f)?"&":"?")+v.data,delete v.data),!1===v.cache&&(f=f.replace(Lt,"$1"),o=(Et.test(f)?"&":"?")+"_="+Ct.guid+++o),v.url=f+o),v.ifModified&&(S.lastModified[f]&&T.setRequestHeader("If-Modified-Since",S.lastModified[f]),S.etag[f]&&T.setRequestHeader("If-None-Match",S.etag[f])),(v.data&&v.he+"").replace(Gt,"")},"function"==typeof define&&define.amd&&define("jquery",[],function(){return S});var Yt=C.jQuery,Qt=C.$;return S.noConflict=function(e){return C.$===S&&(C.$=Qt),e&&C.jQuery===S&&(C.jQuery=Yt),S},"undefined"==typeof e&&(C.jQuery=C.$=S),S});

The specific text of the error message is the line beginning with “ValueError: The view Exams.views.save_exam_view didn’t return an HttpResponse object.”

All code paths through your view must end up returning an HttpResponse object.

This error message is telling you that you’ve got some condition that exists causing your view not to return an HttpResponse.

1 Like

I found what the issue is.

In the following section of Python code, I am trying to append all of the questions, so that they can be displayed after clicking the “Submit” button:

def save_exam_view(request, pk):
    if is_ajax(request):
        questions = []
        data = request.POST
        data_ = dict(data.lists())
        data_.pop('csrfmiddlewaretoken')

# The keys are the questions.
        for k in data_.keys():
            print('Key:', k)
            question = Question.objects.get(text=k)
            questions.append(question)

The problem is that one of my questions has a double quote in it:

What is the output of the following code? L = ['a','b','c','d'] print "".join(L)

Why am I not allowed to put double quotes inside the question on the following page in admin?

Is there a way to include a double quote in the question?

Hi Mr. Whitesell.

Please let me know if you have seen up to this message.

One way to fix this issue was by replacing a double quote (") with two single quotes (‘’).

Now the Exam application is working fine.

Just curious, why doesn’t Django allow double quotes to be included as input for a model’s attributes?

It can - you already have it in there.

There’s something in how this is being handled between what’s entered in the page and what is received and processed by the view - no idea what.

You’ll need to examine what your AJAX call is sending and how it’s being received by the view. Don’t just look at the call - look at what your browser is sending as shown in the developer’s tools and do some debugging in the view to verify what you’re getting.

Okay, thank you for explaining.

Hi Mr. Whitesell.

I ran into another issue.

The following is a button that I have where I am trying to have the user click the button and open the link in another tab:

<button onclick="window.open("{% url 'profile' %}", '_blank'); return false;"
        class="btn btn-default" data-dismiss="modal">Go To The Profile Page</button>

href="{% url 'profile' %}" is how I normally format the URL name, but how would I format the URL name in this case as the first parameter of the window.open() function? The first argument of the window.open() function expects a string indicating the URL.