GSOC Parallel Test Runner

Hello, Carlton.
My name is Ichlasul Affan. I’m a first year Computer Science magister student at University of Indonesia. I’m looking through all GSoC project ideas and interested in fixing parallel testing for Windows, especially because I mostly used Windows as my main work OS when I’m doing Django projects.

Firstly, thank you very much for your initial advice. Just like Ahmad, I am currently feeling a bit intimidated on how I should initialize on contributing to Django. I am currently working on 1 issue in Trac but it’s about adding warning on UniqueConstraint for MySQL (easy-picking), to familiarize myself on how I should code. Is it worth it to continue working on that issue? I didn’t found new unreviewed issue on Django Test when I started to pick issues at Trac.

Secondly, I have read some of codes on django/test/runner.py and django/core/management/__init__.py. It shows that Django loads Apps registry at first by executing django.setup(), after that it continues by running the specific command (in this case, spawn a DiscoverRunner). Is it okay to start with django.setup() on each thread that being spawned using spawn method? Please correct me if I’m wrong. :smile:

That’s all for now. Any further advice is very appreciated. Thanks.