Help with Model mapping with ManyToMany or ForeignKey

Hello all! I have a question about how to write my Django Models for my needs. I believe I dont have a full understanding of Django ORM to know what I need to do. At a high level I have a model that has two props parent which will reference the same model. A second prop would be children which would (I think) a ManyToManyField again on itself. This all works great, but with the ManyToManyField the one entity will have reference to both Tags though the look up table. What i am trying to do is have the parent prop be mapped to the parent Tag and then the parent model will have it in the children prop.

class Tag(base):
    name: models.TextString()
    parent: models.ForeignKey('self', on_delete=models.CASCADE)
    children: models.ManyToMany("self")

So when I create a Tag I can also create its children and then associate that child to its parent. But the catch is the children can have children and when I go to query the children I dont want to see the reference to the parent.

tag = Tag.objects.get(pk=1)
tag.children == [Tag2, Tag3, Tag4]

tag_child_1 = tag.children[1]

tag_child_1.parent == tag

tag_child_1.children == [Tag5, Tag6]

Sorry if my pseudo code doesnt make sense.

Any help would be helpful!!

UPDATE

I finally solved this with a model structure like so:

class Tag(models.Model):
    name = models.CharField(max_length=200, null=True, blank=True)

def __str__(self):
        return self.name

class Node(models.Model):
    tag = models.ForeignKey(Tag, on_delete=models.CASCADE)
    parent = models.ForeignKey('self', null=True, blank=True, on_delete=models.CASCADE, related_name="node_parent")
    node_list = models.ManyToManyField('self', null=True, blank=True)

def __str__(self):
        return self.tag.name

This does what i needed! Thank you all how viewed the post!

This is less a question of Django’s ORM than it is a question about modeling data in a relational database. It may be more helpful if you more precisely described what it is you’re trying to model here.