Help with structuring Django Project

Hi- It’ my first time posting here but I have read a lot. Thank you to all the contributors, this is a great community. I believe that my problem is fairly simple / common but I somehow could not find a great answer to it on here or on Stack Overflow.

I am building a fairly simple applications that pulls data from a database and let’s a user interact with it (do uploads, edits, deletes) via a web interface. We are using Django for the backend and React JS for the front end.

The project structure is pretty straightforward:

• myproject_django / myproject holds all the backend stuff
  • myproject_react holds all the frontend stuff

I have a separate set of scripts that do bulk imports of data into the tables, etc. these sit in another directory on the same level as the other 2:

• myproject_django / myproject
  • myproject_react
  • bulk_data_operations

Today, the bulk_data_operations scripts are run from the command line and connect directly to the database and use native SQL to do their thing. I would love to use the Django models to simplify the SQL generation / maintenance and take advantage of Django migration capabilities. I have Django models defined inside myproject.

What would be the cleanest way to migrate the bulk_data_operations scripts to be able to use the Django models for “one-off” bulk data operations? Would it be to move them inside of the Django project? If so, my understanding is that these scripts would stop being command-line scripts and would need to be triggered through a view or something of the like. Is this correct? Does it mean that I would have to create a separate Admin UI to be able to execute these scripts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Welcome @saoulons !

What you’re looking for here is the creation of Custom management commands. They are command-line scripts that provide full access to your models and the Django ORM. No views or other web-ui are necessary.

Wonderful, thank you sir! I will give this a go!!

And as a follow-up, this worked like a charm. Thanks again!