invalid literal for int() with base 10: '{{order.ticket_count}}'

Hello, I want to create a table with n-rows({{order.ticket_count}}), but I’m not able iterate in foor loop, get following error:

|Django Version:|4.2.9|
|Exception Type:|ValueError|
|Exception Value:|invalid literal for int() with base 10: '{{order.ticket_count}}'|
{% for order in orders %}
              {% for item in "x"|ljust:"{{order.ticket_count}}" %}
             <tr>
                <td>{{item}}</td>
                <td>-</td>
                <td>order.price</td>
                <td><a>Remove</a></td>
              </tr>
            {% endfor %}

{% endfor%}

Side note: When posting code, templates, or error messages, enclose that text between lines of three backtick - ` characters. This means you’ll have a line of ```, then your code (or template, etc), then another line of ```. (I’ve taken the liberty of modifying your original post.)

When you’re referencing a context variable inside a tag, you do not enclose it within the braces {{ ... }}.

You don’t show the data or models that you are working with here, but it’s possible that you’re going to need to alter your approach. I think I may be able to guess what you’re trying to do, but I’m not sure.

Hello Ken, thanks for side note, I hope now it is ok. I removed the braces {{…}} but got a ValueError:
invalid literal for int() with base 10: 'order.ticket_count'

I want to do which it in python looks like, but I want to do it in Django:

for row in range(order.ticket_count):
    print(row + '-' +  order.event_id.ticket_price + 'Remove')

where order.ticket_count is integer and order.event_id.ticket_price is a float/integer.

from model.py

class SigningUp(models.Model):
    PAYMENT_STATUS = [
        ("P", "Paid"),
        ("N", "Not paid"),
    ]
    event_id = models.ForeignKey(Event, on_delete=models.DO_NOTHING, blank=False, null=False)
    user_id = models.ForeignKey(CustomUser, on_delete=models.SET_NULL, null=True)
    event_date = models.ForeignKey(EventDate, on_delete=models.SET_NULL, null=True)
    signing_up_date = models.DateTimeField(auto_now_add=True)
    ticket_count = models.IntegerField(blank=False, null=False)
    status = models.CharField(max_length=1, choices=PAYMENT_STATUS, null=True)

from views.py:

def shopping_cart(request):
    user = request.user
    orders = SigningUp.objects.filter(user_id=user, status='N')
    content = {'orders': orders}
    return render(request, 'events/shopping_cart.html', content)

shopping_cart.html

{% for order in orders %}
     {% for item in "x"|ljust:"order.ticket_count" %}
         <tr>
             <td>{{item}}</td>
              <td>-</td>
              <td>{{order.event_id.ticket_price}}</td>
              <td><a>Remove</a></td>
          </tr>
      {% endfor %}
{% endfor%}

The issue here with your revised version is that you’ve got quotes around “order.ticket_count”, which means you’ve identified that as a string constant.

Also, I’m still not sure what you’re thinking you’re going to generate by that tag:

See the docs for ljust.

What I think you may really be looking for is the counter attribute available in the for loop.

Hello, I want to create table which looks like - 4 tickets, there is 4 lines + header in the table:

So if there is they order N tickets than there are N rows for each ticket, plus one header.
The order.ticket_count ticket variable contains the number of ticekts, and via for loop I want to “print” the table. The ‘ljust’ tag seems not proper for this case.
I hope now it is clear what I want. Thanks

I understand now, thanks. See my reference to the counter attribute at the end of my previous reply.

I still don’t know how should the input to for loop look like, now I get TypeError: 'int' object is not iterable

{% for item in order.ticket_count %}
	              <tr>
	                <td>{{forloop.counter}}</td>
	                <td>-</td>
	                <td>{{order.event_id.ticket_price}} €</td>
	                <td><a href="">Odobrat</a></td>
	              </tr>
	          {% endfor %}

You don’t need to iterate over order.ticket_count since you’re iterating over order in orders. That loop goes away completely.

So nested loops are not working in Django templates?

orders = SigningUp.objects.filter(user_id=user,status=‘N’)
print(orders) → <QuerySet [<SigningUp: SigningUp object (4)>]>
I cannot use get method, because there can be more orders.

order which is from orders are “equal” to SigningUp model, so if orders.ticket_count=4 I want to do for loop which creates a table with 4 rows.

class SigningUp(models.Model):
    PAYMENT_STATUS = [
        ("P", "Paid"),
        ("N", "Not paid"),
    ]
    event_id = models.ForeignKey(Event, on_delete=models.DO_NOTHING, blank=False, null=False)
    user_id = models.ForeignKey(CustomUser, on_delete=models.SET_NULL, null=True)
    event_date = models.ForeignKey(EventDate, on_delete=models.SET_NULL, null=True)
    signing_up_date = models.DateTimeField(auto_now_add=True)
    ticket_count = models.IntegerField(blank=False, null=False)
    status = models.CharField(max_length=1, choices=PAYMENT_STATUS, null=True)

Nested loops work fine. It just doesn’t make any sense to use them in this case, for the sample of the template you’ve provided.

You’re already iterating over orders, which means each instance of order inside that loop is going to be a different order.

I have two orders(2 instances) one has 4 tickets the second one has 3 tickets. First I have to iterate over orders, and then iterate over tickets. I want to display this:

Ok, so you’re looking to repeat the same data “ticket_count” number of times. And that also explains your original attempt to use the ljust filter to create the arbitrary length string.

Now I think I understand what you’re trying to do here - and yes, I think your original attempt is appropriate here: {% for item in "x"|ljust:order.ticket_count %}

1 Like