"no such column: rowid" error with Django 4.2 and Spatialite 5.0.1

I am upgrading an application from Django 3.2 to 4.2, which uses postgis in production, and django.contrib.gis.db.backends.spatialite when running unit tests.

Running the tests on this application, I’m getting this error:

django.db.utils.OperationalError: error in trigger ISO_metadata_reference_row_id_value_insert: no such column: rowid
make: *** [django.mk:49: test] Error 1

This problem is documented in this ticket, and seems to be an issue with using Django 4.2 and Spatialite 5: #32935 (Test suite fails with sqlite 3.36 and spatialite 5.) – Django

One of the workarounds looks like executing this command in the spatialite database:

./manage.py shell -c "import django;django.db.connection.cursor().execute('SELECT InitSpatialMetaData(1);')";

However, after I run this command, I am still getting the no such column: rowid error. Has anyone else run into this? I am using Django 4.2.11, sqlite 3.42.0, libspatialite 5.0.1, python 3.12.2 on Fedora Linux.

I think the easiest option available is in ⬆ django 4.2 by nikolas · Pull Request #2976 · ccnmtl/footprints · GitHub .github/workflows/build-and-test.yml, do not upgrade from ubuntu-20.04 to ubuntu-22.04.
Ubuntu 20.04 is using spatialite 4.3 when installing libsqlite3-mod-spatialite.

More fiddly options include:

• in the action, upgrade to spatialite 5.1
  • in the action, recompile SQLite with -DSQLITE_ALLOW_ROWID_IN_VIEW

When Ubuntu 24.04 is released April 25th, libsqlite3-mod-spatialite will install spatialite 5.1 libsqlite3-mod-spatialite : Noble (24.04) : Ubuntu (launchpad.net)

Hi @nikolas

Here’s a recent PR by @adamchainz which added a workaround for this issue. Maybe that could be used as inspiration for your project.

Thank you for these options - Our production systems are running Spatialite 5.0.1 so I would prefer a solution that works with that. If I can’t get that working I suppose I will figure out how to upgrade everything to Spatialite 5.1.

It would be much simpler to just accept the Django patch I submitted, though (Fixed #32935 -- Call InitSpatialMetaData(1) on spatialite 5.0.1. by nikolas · Pull Request #18083 · django/django · GitHub). I think I will most likely just create a custom database wrapper based on that patch.