Old Project to new python and Django Version

Hey there
I am very new to Django (not so much to programming and python) and I need to bring an 12-years-old project up and running in the new Django and python versions. When I make runserver I get the following output:

python3 manage.py runserver
Watching for file changes with StatReloader
Exception in thread django-main-thread:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/threading.py”, line 932, in _bootstrap_inner
self.run()
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/threading.py”, line 870, in run
self._target(*self._args, **self._kwargs)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/django/utils/autoreload.py”, line 54, in wrapper
fn(*args, **kwargs)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/django/core/management/commands/runserver.py”, line 109, in inner_run
autoreload.raise_last_exception()
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/django/utils/autoreload.py”, line 77, in raise_last_exception
raise _exception[1]
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/django/core/management/init.py”, line 337, in execute
autoreload.check_errors(django.setup)()
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/django/utils/autoreload.py”, line 54, in wrapper
fn(*args, **kwargs)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/django/init.py”, line 24, in setup
apps.populate(settings.INSTALLED_APPS)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/django/apps/registry.py”, line 91, in populate
app_config = AppConfig.create(entry)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/django/apps/config.py”, line 116, in create
mod = import_module(mod_path)
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/importlib/init.py”, line 127, in import_module
return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
File “”, line 1014, in _gcd_import
File “”, line 991, in _find_and_load
File “”, line 973, in _find_and_load_unlocked
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘django_comments’

Anyone able to guide me through that?

Well, a long time ago, there was a component in Django called django-comments. From what I can quickly find, it has been split out into a separate project named django-contrib-comments.

There is no way to tell from this error message whether your reference to it is actually this project or if there was some other 3rd party package by that name that you were using.

If you have the complete system for the old version, you could track down where the django_comments package is located. (First thing I would look for would be a directory by that name.)