OSError caused by server or Django code ?

My Django app works on my localhost but twice the server gave an error like this :

OSError at /
[Errno 5] Input/output error
Request Method:	GET
Request URL:	https://example.test/
Django Version:	4.2.11
Exception Type:	OSError
Exception Value:	
[Errno 5] Input/output error
Exception Location:	/var/www/projectExample/application/custom_middleware.py, line 13, in __call__
Raised during:	application.views.index
Python Executable:	/var/www/projectExample/env/bin/python3.11
Python Version:	3.11.5
Python Path:	
['/var/www/projectExample',
 '/usr/lib/python311.zip',
 '/usr/lib/python3.11',
 '/usr/lib/python3.11/lib-dynload',
 '/var/www/projectExample/env/lib/python3.11/site-packages']
Server time:	Mon, 18 Mar 2024 09:24:18 +0530
Traceback Switch to copy-and-paste view
/var/www/projectExample/env/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/core/handlers/exception.py, line 55, in inner
                response = get_response(request)
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 

Is there an issue with my code or is this purely a server OS error?

custom_middleware.py, line 13, in __call__
class CustomMiddleware:
    def __init__(self, get_response):
        self.get_response = get_response

def __call__(self, request):

print("*************** before the view is called ***************************************************")

print("Middleware: Custom code is running!")

print("request =", request)

# Code to run before the view is called
        response = self.get_response(request)
        print("*************** after the view is called (before the response is returned) *****************")

The middleware is probably calling the view function - because there isn’t a next middleware now. But on server restart, the app is working fine without any errors. So not sure where to debug.

I can see where this would be tough to debug.

Was that the complete traceback or was there more to that error? I don’t think we’re seeing the complete picture here.

What is the operating system being used here?

(What log file is that from? Are there other log files that can be checked for related issues?)

In the error message, it says:

Are you doing any file I/O or anything other than what you might think of as typical Django-style processing in that view?

Are you using any non-local-file storages for things like static files or templates?

Nothing of that sort. index() is just a return render() with print before it.
print("request in index =", request)
I am using a middleware to get the currently logged in Active Directory user - using Microsoft AD for logging in.

@conditional_login_required
def index(request):

Exception Location: /var/www/projectExample/application/custom_middleware.py, line 13, in call

which is :

print("*************** before the view is called ***************************************************")

It goes away I get my sys-admin to restart the server (not the Azure server instance).

This is solved. I started using logger to also log whatever I was printing and one of the prints was logging in an object of a value which is not a string and hence it was failing to write to the cayank.log file. I removed that one particular logger line it’s all good now.

logger.debug("azureAD =", azureAD)

EDIT : I had copied the line from print and pasted in logger.debug - obviously it was and error because logger.debug’s second argument was incorrect and it was to be concatenated. My bad,