class ProductAdmin(admin.ModelAdmin):
    def get_queryset(self, request):
        qs = super().get_queryset(request)
        qs = qs.select_related(
            'subcategory__category__main_category'
        ).prefetch_related(
            'product_images',
            'product_in_stock',
            Prefetch('product_specs', queryset=ProductSpec.objects.prefetch_related('product_spec_key'))
        )
        return qs

This approach works terrific in views, but on admin page I’ve got even more database hits (200+ compared to 190+).
Is it possible to optimize queryset in Admin in this way, perhaps with a bit more overriding of parent class?

Jacinda Shelly gave a wonderful talk at PyCon last year titled, “But, Why is the admin slow?” - https://youtu.be/f8cFjiyxQuQ

If you’re really interested in improving the performance of your admin pages, it’s well worth your time to watch it.

She’s really talking about a more general issue regarding performance improvements, but it’s remarkably useful for optimizing the queries being performed in the ModelAdmin classes.

Ken

Thank you Ken, I’ll check this one!

Looks like get_queryset has to do with LISTS of objects but doesn’t have any impact on INDIVIDUAL objects in admin…
I’ve got several Inlines and a ForeignKey selector with verbose __str__ as major culprits of slowdown.

One clue here: formfield_for_foreignkey

Also take a look at ModelAdmin.autocomplete_fields. That’ll be helpful if you can’t filter the choices.

Thanks, great hint!
The worst part is with inlines - they produce dozens of extra database queries, and the seem to be no way to reduce them to one query.