Resolving `AttributeError` for home / landing page routing with CBVs

I’m trying to wire up a CBV with a Model and routing for a brand new site I am building.

When I try landing on the home page, Django is showing an “AttributeError” at /home: “type object ‘Home’ has no attribute ‘Home’”.

Here is my landings/views.py:

from django.shortcuts import render
from django.views.generic import DetailView
from .models import Home

class HomeDetailView(DetailView):
   models = Home
   queryset = Home.objects.order_by('title')
   context_object_name = "content"

def get_slug_field(self):
       self.models.Home.title

I realize the problem is with the way I am calling the get_slug_field. I tried this instead:

self.Home.title

Then Django shows: AttributeError at /home: ‘HomeDetailView’ object has no attribute ‘Home’

I’ve identified that the above two lines are the problem. But I am just not sure of the right way to call the slug title attribute. Can anyone clarify how to properly call get_slug_field?

Here is my web app’s landings/urls.py:

from django.contrib import admin
from django.urls import path, include
from .views import HomeDetailView

urlpatterns = [
   path('<str:slug>', HomeDetailView.as_view(),name='home'),
]

landings/models.py:

from django.db import models

class Home(models.Model):
   title = models.CharField(max_length=200)
   body = models.TextField(null=True, blank=True)

And I’ve populated some placeholder data in the Admin Dashboard for this web app.

Prohect base urls.py:

from django.contrib import admin
from django.urls import path, include

urlpatterns = [
   path('admin/', admin.site.urls),
   path('', include('landings.urls')),

The CBV attribute object contains the reference to the object in the detail view. (It’s also referenced by the attribute defined by the context_object_name attribute.)

So in this specific case, since the view is for a Home object, self.object is the “current” Home, and so self.object.title is the title for that instance of Home.

(Side note: It seems odd to me that you’re creating a link on a page to itself.)

Hi Ken:

Thanks for your reply.

I seem to have misuderstood your recommendation to use: self.object.title. I tried:

self.object.title

Shows a 404 as if the slug doesn’t exist. When I go to populate some placeholder content for objects int he db, when I try accessing the Admin Dashboard, it shows this Attribute Error: 'HomeDetailView' object has no attribute 'object'.

You are right, it is odd. My original task was to have Django serve a landing page at the top level parent web address, (ex. at http://127.0.0.1:7000/).

Here is the project-level urls.py:

urlpatterns = [
    path('admin/', admin.site.urls),
    path('', include('landings.urls')),
]

Here was my app-level urls.py:

urlpatterns = [
    path('', HomeDetailView.as_view(),name='home'),
]

Then Django throws this error:

AttributeError at /
Generic detail view HomeDetailView must be called with either an object pk or a slug in the URLconf.

That’s the original issue that got me started researching and looking into using a slug. But now that you mention it, since using a slug isn’t really required and is misplaced, how do I resolve this slug AttributeError so that Django serves the home landing page as intended? What other information could I provide to help troubleshoot further?

edit: sp

What is get_slug_field supposed to supply?

(Note, I frequently recommend people reference both the Classy Class-Based View site as well as the CBV diagrams page to get an understanding of how CBVs work. I find this “unified view” of the CBVs easier to understand than the “class-based” description provided in the docs.)

What are you intending?

As the error message you’re quoting states, a DetailView must provide either a pk or slug as a parameter, you have your choice of one or the other. Not providing a parameter is not an option.

Side note to the side note:

I’m not sure from the context here why I wrote that - was this a continuation / redirection from another thread? If we’re looking at this thread as a conversation in itself, this doesn’t make sense.