Safe Folder Permissions Structure for Django with mod_wsgi

So I asked mod_wsgi dev Graham Dumpleton about a safe Folder Permissions Structure, when running Django+Apache+Linux with mod_wsgi

Here is the discussion on Github: Question: Ideal Secure Folder structure for Django on RedHat or Fedora · Issue #849 · GrahamDumpleton/mod_wsgi · GitHub

I wanted to hear the opinion of people in here, if they had any further feedback upon the issue.

So here is the current plan:

1. Create a dedicated user (non-admin, normal user) – Question… is that alright ? Being non-admin?

2. use the ‘user=name’ parameter in Apache config file to define what user the daemon process runs as.

3. Create the Django project & Python Virtual Environment in /home/NewUser

4. Minimal .wsgi that loads the application in document root of Apache.

5. Static/Public files like Favicon, Frontpage html elements to be in document root of apache, and just pointing to it inside Django settings.

I haven’t deployed Django under Apache in more than 8 years now, and to be honest, I don’t specifically remember everything. However, I think the analogy is close enough when running Django under nginx / uwsgi that you may find this informative.

1. Yes, we specifically create non-root, non-system users to run our Django apps, frequently one per project. (I have one server running 5 different projects, each uses their own id.)

2. We have uwsgi set up to be started as that user.

3. The virtual environment is created in, and the project is deployed to /home/user.

4. All static files are deployed to /var/www/html/<project name>/ using collectstatic. The media directories are maintained under /var/media/<project_name>/.

5. The <project_name> directories are owned by the project, with the group www-data. Only the project can write to those directories. The www-data account can only read them.

Generally, this works for us regardless of whether we’re deploying to bare metal or within Docker containers.

1 Like

Yeah, Graham Dumpleton also further replied/clarified about this topic, so I think its a safe direction so far. I am also testing this further, step-by-step… whether I will run into any issues.

I have left SELinux (the topic of my other discussion) for now until the end.

As I mentioned I am doing the tutorial series/walkthrough so that all this research into configuration helps someone down the line. Thanks man, it really helps.