Server 403 error when serving static files with Nginx

Hi there,

During deployment of Django (Gunicorn+Nginx) I have encountered the following issue:

1. Site loads correctly, and debug default page comes on. The terminal annouces the first two errors:
(django_env) user@mysite.com:$ Not Found: /error/403.html
Not Found: /favicon.ico
  1. When navigating to mysite.com/admin none of the static files are loading, and multiple “Not Found: /error/403.html” are returned on the terminal.

2. I have checked nginx error log, finding no server 403 errors (just a warning relating ssl stapling):

2021/08/28 00:08:00 [warn] 4549#4549: "ssl_stapling" ignored, issuer certificate not found...
  1. I have checked the permissions on my static folder (/home/user/myproject/static) and are set to 755:
    Captura de pantalla 2021-08-28 011244

This is what my settings.py static section looks like:

STATIC_URL = '/static/'
STATIC_ROOT = "/home/user/myproject/static"

This is what my nginx myproject.conf file looks like

server {
        listen xxxxxxxxxx:443 ssl;
        server_name site.com;
        ssl_certificate      /usr/local/xxxxxx.crt;
        ssl_certificate_key  /usr/local/xxxxx.key;
        #access_log  /var/log/ngin/xxxxxxxxx.log main;

location /static/ {
            alias /home/user/myproject/static;
        }

location / {
                proxy_pass http://xxxxxxxx:8000/;
        }
}

User set in nginx.conf is ‘nginx’ and the rest of relevant configurations go as follow:

# Server globals
    user   nginx;
################
# Error pages
    error_page          403          /error/403.html;
    error_page          404          /error/404.html;
    error_page          502 503 504  /error/50x.html;
###############
# Wildcard include
    include       /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/myproject;

I am certain I might have missed several things here (maybe I should pay attention to the whole permission hierarchy, setting permissions elsewhere, adequately configure nginx…), forgive my limited experience.

Thank you in advance for your help!

The issue could be caused by a lack of permissions higher up. Check the permissions at /home, /home/user, and /home/user/myproject.

But, I think you’d be better off (easier and with fewer chances of side effects) by moving STATIC_ROOT to something like /var/www/html/static.

If you need more details, check the nginx logs - don’t rely solely on the console output. You can also run nginx with more detailed logging.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.