Website translation between two languages

I’m quite new to Django and I have a beginner question that I need some help with if that’s okay. I would like to build a site that is available in two languages, in this case English and Japanese, and I would like to have a single button for switching between languages.

The following code works fine for displaying two buttons, one for each language.

{% get_current_language as LANGUAGE_CODE %}
{% get_available_languages as LANGUAGES %}
{% get_language_info_list for LANGUAGES as languages %}
{% for language in languages %}
    <form action="{% url 'set_language' %}" method="post" id="form_{{ language.code }}" >
        {% csrf_token %}
        <input name="next" type="hidden" value="{{ redirect_to }}" />
        <input name="language" type="hidden" value="{{ language.code }}" />
        </form>
    <button class="btn btn-light" type="submit" form="form_{{ language.code }}" value="Submit">{{ language.name_local }}</button>
{% endfor %}

I tried to adapt this to use a simple if/else condition in the following way to show just one button that would make it possible to switch to the other language. However, I am getting an error stating:

Invalid block tag on line 67: ‘LANGUAGE_CODE’, expected ‘elif’, ‘else’ or ‘endif’. Did you forget to register or load this tag?

which refers to the line stating "{% LANGUAGE_CODE = ‘ja’ %}.

{% get_current_language as LANGUAGE_CODE %}
{% if LANGUAGE_CODE == 'en' %}
    {% LANGUAGE_CODE = 'ja' %}
{% else %}
    {% LANGUAGE_CODE = 'en' %}
{% endif %}

{% get_language_info for LANGUAGE_CODE as language %}
<form action="{% url 'set_language' %}" method="post" id="form_{{ language.code }}" >
    {% csrf_token %}
    <input name="next" type="hidden" value="{{ redirect_to }}" />
    <input name="language" type="hidden" value="{{ language.code }}" />
</form>
<button class="btn btn-light" type="submit" form="form_{{ language.code }}" value="Submit">{{ language.name_local }}</button>

Would someone mind giving me some help with this error? And also, is my attempt here a good approach for what I’m trying to do or is there a better approach?

Many thanks in advance

The templating language is not designed for performing logic like this. You want to set the LANGUAGE_CODE in the view, and then take advantage of that setting in your template.
(See the sidebar marked Philosophy on that page.)

Thank you very much for the reply and the advice. Much appreciated. And thanks for the link as well. That makes more sense.