Whats the most suitable option for reliably sending small amount of email?

Hi,

I am working on a small project and need to send emails after registration or when resetting a password. I doubt I will ever need to send more than 50/week.

What is the preferred option in this use case? SendGrid and similar seem like a overkill, since these services are designed for newsletters.

From what I found out, I need some SMTP server to ensure delivery. Some webhostings offer SMTP but that does not seem to be the case for Digital Ocean where I plan to deploy this.

Thanks!

Depending upon who you personally use as an internet or email provider, it’s quite possible that you can use the same email service. Google allows for 100-150 emails per day through their service, other providers will have their own limits.

1 Like

:wave:

I’ve been a fan of using Postmark for this kind of thing. Very developer friendly and easy to use: https://postmarkapp.com/

2 Likes

I have a couple of Gmail accounts so that might be a solution, however then the email will have @gmail.com address as the sender right?

It doesn’t have to be.

There’s a way of “registering” other email accounts as being authorized to use as the “from” address for emails being sent through gmail.

You are limited to the number of such accounts, you need to have access to that account for validation, and they need to be registered before sending any emails using that address.

I don’t remember the specifics, it’s been about 12 years since the last time I’ve had to do it, but the information is out there.

Got it! Will check out the Gmail route then :slight_smile: Thanks

So in the end I went via the Gmail route and created dedicated account for this.

One caveat is that you need to allow “less secure apps” access in the account settings, otherwise sending email over Gmail SMTP won’t work.