An open source chess game built with Django, htmx and Tailwind

Hi there! :chess_pawn:

Zakuchess is yet another “daily chess challenge” - a side project I’ve been working for a while, motivated by 2 main aspects:

• I’ve wanted to play chess with pixel art units - rather than pieces - for years. I’m not an illustrator myself, but thankfully the open source game Battle For Wesnoth has some lovely sprites I could use :art:
  • On the technical side of things, I wanted to see how far I could go with htmx in terms of user interface reactivity.

The answer to the 2nd point is: pretty far! :smiley:
Htmx is definitely a very nice way to build a rich interface powered by server-side-rendered HTML! :balloon:
Having a roundtrip to the server for every interaction with the user interface sure has a cost, but it’s just a matter of a few dozens of milliseconds if the user is close enough to the server.
And Tailwind CSS is also a great way to get a good Locality Of Behaviour.

The game is not 100% finished yet, but is now mature enough to be played. :slightly_smiling_face:

The game is hosted by Fly.io, and hasn’t cost me aything so far since they don’t bill invoices smaller than $5. The underlying database is SQLite.

Any feedback - or even contribution, whether it’s code, design, or new chess challenges - is appreciated :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

I find this amazing. I’ve used HTMX and Hyperscript on some personal sites but would love the knowledge to build some advanced like this. Great work. Will spend some time looking at the repo!

Thanks for the kind words! :smiley:

Happy to answer any questions you might have about a “heavily powered by HTMX” app - I’m certainly not an expert in this field myself, but after having built this project I now have a little bit of experience in it :slightly_smiling_face: