Can I develop live video streaming website using django?

If yes then what should I need to know before starting, please specify

Live video and text Streaming Application (Web & Mobile)

I want to use Technology: WebRTC, Python, React, socket.io, Flutter (App)

1 Like

I want also do development and contribute something like that because all doc talking nodejs and python asynchronous but django not. we need to someone to guide us to do that something
webRTC works for asynchronous framework if anyone has ability to create open source project to develop something like it will be cool

1 Like

Core Django isn’t suitable for the actual streaming of data. It currently is built around the request-response cycle of a typical http transaction. You could build your website around the streaming protocols using Django, but to do the actual streaming, you would need to use a different component.

If you’re committed to socket.io as a protocol / API / interface, then you’re effectively talking about using it on both ends of the connection as there’s no published standard or governance process around the management of that protocol. (Yes, the website provides a reasonably detailed description, but there are plenty of holes that can only be understood by reading the code used to implement it.) The authors are free to modify, extend, and update it at will, putting all independent implementations at a disadvantage.

So if you set this up behind a server such as nginx, you could direct the web requests to Django, while directing the socket.io streams to your node.js server.

Ken

5 Likes

thanks for your valuable time

1 Like

Can’t say for sure about gjango, but anyway, I think reading this article will help you a lot to not make any mistakes while developing a video streaming website: https://www.cleveroad.com/blog/how-to-create-a-video-streaming-website

2 Likes

thanks for your response

Thanks For asking this question and also for the discussion. I also want to learn the process if possible.

1 Like

It’s likely the live-streaming bits of the website won’t use Django, I hope that this article will help you to develop a live streaming website How to create your own Video Streaming Website? | by Nandini Ramachandran R | Feb, 2021 | Medium

Django supports more than just request response lifecycle of things.

Django has support for asynchronous task which involves livestream m

You can do this with Django channels.

1 Like

I know this is pretty old, but in case you’re still looking; AWS IVS offers a robust, easy-to-implement streaming service and set of features!

Hey to you. I read a lot of your post throughout the years and find you helpful. I just have one question. Is it possible to build a live stream with let’s say instagram capabilities using pure JavaScript and Django. I wanted to know before I actually began putting time into this and adding it to my website that I am working on.

If you are willing to use WebRTC, you may want to experiment using (1) aioRTC or (2) just pure JS and use WebSocket as signaling (Django Channel). Unfortunately, some of the native WebRTC APIs n browsers are not yet available in aioRTC. The data channel works fine but routing the mediastream to multiple clients does not. aioRTC works for mesh P2P topology, but does not perform well for SFU and MCU type. Also, you want to consider how browsers implement WebRTC. It is a pain since some APIs work, some do not. I am testing LiveKit and it seems to be promising. It is still WebRTC based and written in Go. Don’t worry there is a JS client and Python server SDKs that go with it. It can be integrated with Django plus it is using SFU topology and is open source.