Deprecation warning in unmaintained 3rd party app used in old migrations (django-jsonfield)

Hi everyone,

I’m preparing my project for the 4.0 release and came up with an issue that I’m not sure how to address.

I have models that use a JSONField. Nowadays, they use Django’s builtin JSONField but before that, they were using the implementation from django-jsonfield (which is now unmaintained).
As a consequence, my migration files still reference django-jsonfield.

My issue is that I’m getting some deprecation warnings when running with python -Wall:
/path/to/venv/jsonfield/fields.py:22: RemovedInDjango40Warning: django.utils.translation.ugettext_lazy() is deprecated in favor of django.utils.translation.gettext_lazy().

As mentionned above, django-jsonfield is (understandably) unmaintained and its repository on github is archived/readonly so I can’t file a bug report.

So how would you approach this? Should I maintain a fork of django-jsonfield so i can keep referencing it in my migrations? Should I try to reset my migration files (delete all of them and start with a fresh makemigrations)? Edit the problematic migration files by hand to replace the reference to the old JSONField with some kind of simplified fake object? Maybe another option?

Thanks

I would edit the migration files to use Django’s built-in JSONField, and uninstall django-jsonfield. That should work fine.

That seems to have worked indeed. makemigrations is not reporting any new changes at least.

Great! We could do with some documentation around these kinds of changes. I’d be happy to review a PR.