Development question

Hi,

If I want to develope further on my computer a Django app that is working already on a production server of my holster what be the best way to a noob?

Should I push new commits to GitHub and pull them from a production server? Or I can do it without GitHub just by using git on my computer and then somehow push directly to production server? I’m new to this but it looks like cpanel of my hosting provider has git version control in it.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Heroku costs about $7/month for PostgresSQL, you’ll find out later. OTOH, the tooling for deploying your app is extremely well put together. Once you’ve set up your Django site and have installed on your workstation Heroku-CLI, you can go to the Deployment page and add your GitHub repo. If the appropriate files are in the project root that Heroku looks for such as a Procfile and requirements.txt, then Heroku can (with the flip of a switch) deploy automatically, each time you push to a given branch. Can others recommend an alternative here?

Whos your hosting provider?

I use Microsoft Azure for all of my Django apps. You can deploy directly from VSCode into Azure or use Actions in gitHub or Azure DevOps build pipelines.

I work locally and commit my code to my GIT repo which automatically deploys to my Dev instance and then once in Dev i can promote to production.

I also run locally using a local installation of PostgreSQL

1 Like

Thank you, enjoysmath! I’ll read Heroku docs.

TommyQuality, Azure really gives a free ride for 12 month??!! Or there are hidden costs?

My Django app is now on pythonanywhere

1 Like