Django 5.1 release - status and next steps

Hello everyone!

I wanted to provide a few updates regarding the Django 5.1 release:

• With Mariusz retiring as a fellow, I’ve made some adjustments to the Version 5.1 Roadmap – Django to reflect the change in release management. As part of these adjustments, we’ve shifted the release dates to Wednesdays instead of Mondays.

• Feature freeze is scheduled for May 22nd. If there are new features that you believe are close to being ready for checkin, please let us know. While the next fellow and I will do our best to push these forward, I must provide a friendly disclaimer: due to the new fellow’s onboarding and other high-priority responsibilities, such as security reports triage and fixing, we cannot guarantee that all new features currently in progress will make it into 5.1. However, any features that do not make it into this release will certainly be considered in future releases like 5.2, 6.0, and beyond.

• Also, don’t forget that any of you can help by testing the dev branch, finding bugs early, triaging tickets, reviewing PRs, contributing fixes to release blockers, and more. Your assistance with these tasks is really valuable and keeps things running smoothly/faster. If you’re able to do any of the above, we’d greatly appreciate it!

Thank you!
Natalia.

8 Likes