Django is problematic to use for begginer programmers

So I was browsing the internet and I stumbled upon a post saying that django was fabulous and lets you create more advanced website blogs. But as I just graduated from my first CS. I went through the tutorial of django https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/3.1/intro/tutorial01/ even twice I realized that I’m not up to the task my python skills are lagging behind…
So if you are a beginner programmer I wouldn’t recommend doing the tutorial if you need to build a quick blog. But opt instead for something other than django.

Just like a programming language, you have to spend time with Django to learn how to use it properly. In my opinion, it’s fantastic for beginners because it utilizes OO Python and its documentation is extremely verbose.

With any language or framework, you have to take your time. You can’t expect to understand everything within the first few hours. That’s why you have nifty forums – to help you with any questions that may arise :slight_smile:

Yep, I agree with you completely. My opinion is that trying to learn Django and Python at the same time will lead to quite a bit of frustration. There’s a lot of Django built on intermediate to advanced Python concepts that are going to come across as “magic” if you’re not familiar with them.

Also when it comes to building something like a blog, the phrase I use most frequently is that “If I want to build a “web site”, I use (one of) Wordpress, Drupal, or Joomla. If I want to build a web application, I use Django.” (That’s clearly the short version, there’s a lot of detail behind that left unsaid - but it expresses my basic opinion rather succinctly.)

The “0 to 100” quarter-mile time is a lot shorter for those first three. However, Django really shines in the “100 to 200”, over 500-miles, time to add some (poor) auto racing metaphors into the mix.

Having said that, there are also a lot of people who would disagree with my opinions. As the saying goes, “Your milage may vary.”

Ken

1 Like