Estimate server load

Hello everyone,
I have developed a small APP and am now looking for a suitable hosting provider to publish it.

I’ve already taken a look at djangoeurope and am really impressed with the interface - I know absolutely nothing about server administration and therefore need exactly what djangoeurope offers.

However, I cannot estimate how powerful the server is.

With the largest package, djangoeurope offers:

• 400GB SSD
  • 8GB RAM
  • 1600 Processes

Assuming a very simple code structure, with few database queries, how powerful is this package? I know you can’t say exactly - but a little assessment would be great :slight_smile:

Would it be possible, for example, to process 1000 users who are accessing different pages at the same time - what is the order of magnitude here?

Does anyone know of alternative hosting providers with simple server administration that are more scalable?

Thank you :slight_smile:

There’s not going to be a “pat answer” or fixed calculation you can perform here. There’s a lot more than just your Django project involved. The database, web server, and other components are also going to affect this.

The only way you’re going to know for sure is to try it and see.

If you don’t have a suitable environment to use as a “staging” or “pre-deployment” system, you need one.

Once you do have that type of environment, perform some load testing to see how it reacts. It doesn’t need to be fancy or sophisticated - just something that is going to issue requests to the server at reasonable quantities and frequencies.
(You may want to find something that will help you stress-test it - it is worthwhile to see where it’s going to fall over and break.)

I can serve 1000 users on a Raspberry Pi 4, if the load is right. I can also bring an 8-core system to its knees with 10 users and the wrong load.

Side note: If you’re going to be managing this as a full server and not in a “SAAS”-type of environment, you will need to become knowledgeable of system administration topics. Running a web server is not a “set-it-up-and-forget-it” situation. You need to be prepared to spend some time every week keeping an eye on it. (Yes, you can automate a lot of the routine management tasks, but you still need to verify that the automation is working correctly.)

1 Like