Getting a spawned process access into models

I have an application that scrapes data from various IT infrastructure sources (VMware, storage, backup) and inventories all the different things that would be useful to have at a quick reference. I broke out everything into threads, but I’m realizing that the Python GIL is slowing things down when collections are running from more than 2 types of sources (ex: VMware and storage), and it’s making the views sluggish to load.

My thought was that if I can spin up the main collection threads as a process instead, it would workaround the Python GIL and hopefully make the web interface part a bit snappier since it wouldn’t have to wait on 300 or so other threads that are also doing stuff. What happens is that since the spawned processes aren’t attached to Django, the code that accesses the models inside of those processes throws django.core.exceptions.AppRegistryNotReady: Apps aren't loaded yet. since it’s trying to access the models/DB without Django being started in that process.

Effectively, I want these spawned processes to be able to interact with Django, the models, and the DB since they are doing the heavy lifting of the application.

Code references:

Stacktrace:

File "C:\Program Files\Python310\lib\multiprocessing\spawn.py", line 116, in spawn_main
    exitcode = _main(fd, parent_sentinel)
  File "C:\Program Files\Python310\lib\multiprocessing\spawn.py", line 126, in _main
    self = reduction.pickle.load(from_parent)
  File "C:\Users\jfort\PycharmProjects\VmInventory\VMwareInventory\Processes\Vcenter.py", line 5, in <module>
    from VMwareInventory.VMwareRest.VMwareRest import RESTVCenter
  File "C:\Users\jfort\PycharmProjects\VmInventory\VMwareInventory\VMwareRest\VMwareRest.py", line 19, in <module>
    from VMwareInventory.models import *
  File "C:\Users\jfort\PycharmProjects\VmInventory\VMwareInventory\models\__init__.py", line 2, in <module>
    from .Base.cost import Cost
  File "C:\Users\jfort\PycharmProjects\VmInventory\VMwareInventory\models\Base\cost.py", line 2, in <module>
    from .base import BaseModel
  File "C:\Users\jfort\PycharmProjects\VmInventory\VMwareInventory\models\Base\base.py", line 4, in <module>
    class BaseModel(models.Model):
  File "C:\Program Files\Python310\lib\site-packages\django\db\models\base.py", line 127, in __new__
    app_config = apps.get_containing_app_config(module)
  File "C:\Program Files\Python310\lib\site-packages\django\apps\registry.py", line 260, in get_containing_app_config
    self.check_apps_ready()
  File "C:\Program Files\Python310\lib\site-packages\django\apps\registry.py", line 138, in check_apps_ready
    raise AppRegistryNotReady("Apps aren't loaded yet.")
django.core.exceptions.AppRegistryNotReady: Apps aren't loaded yet.

apps.py:

from django.apps import AppConfig
from VMwareInventory.settings_local import environment
from VMwareInventory.threading.initial_settings import set_default_database_items

class VmwareinventoryConfig(AppConfig):
    name = 'VMwareInventory'

def ready(self):
        set_default_database_items()
        if environment == "prod":
            from .threading.scraping import TimerScrape
            TimerScrape()

threading\scraping.py (Where the TimerScrape() function lives):

# Python imports:
from threading import Thread, enumerate
from multiprocessing import Queue
from datetime import datetime, timezone
from time import sleep

# from queue import Queue

# Local imports:
from VMwareInventory.models import Vcenter, StorageSystem, BackupSystem, Setting, Platform, Application, Function, \
    Region, Site, Environment, TagsReport
from VMwareInventory.reports.tags_report import TagGenericReport
from VMwareInventory.reports.missing_tags_report import MissingTagsReport
from VMwareInventory.Processes.Backup import BackupWorker
from VMwareInventory.Processes.Storage import StorageWorker
from VMwareInventory.Processes.Vcenter import VcenterWorker

# Django imports:
from django.db import connection

class TimerScrape(Thread):
    def __init__(self):
        Thread.__init__(self)
        self.name = "timerscrape_thread"
        self.vcenter_queue = Queue()
        self.vcenter_list = []
        self.storage_queue = Queue()
        self.storage_list = []
        self.backup_queue = Queue()
        self.backup_list = []
        self.vcenter_worker = 0
        self.storage_worker = 0
        self.backup_worker = 0
        self.daemon = True
        self.start()

def run(self):
        sleep(60)
        while True:
            vcenters = Vcenter.objects.all()
            netapps = StorageSystem.objects.all()
            rubriks = BackupSystem.objects.all()
            vcenter_threads = Setting.objects.get(name='vcenter_scraping_threads')
            storage_threads = Setting.objects.get(name='storage_scraping_threads')
            backup_threads = Setting.objects.get(name='backup_scraping_threads')
            wait_hours = int(Setting.objects.get(name='scrape_wait_time').value)
            connection.close()
            wait_seconds = wait_hours * 3600
            current_time = datetime.now(timezone.utc)

# get list of current threading and their names
            threads = enumerate()
            # print(threads)
            thread_list = []
            worker_list = []
            for thread in threads:
                if thread.name == "vCenter_worker_thread":
                    worker_list.append(thread)
                elif thread.name == "storage_worker_thread":
                elif thread.name == "backup_worker_thread":
                else:
                    thread_list.append(thread.name)

self.vcenter_worker = 0
            self.storage_worker = 0
            self.backup_worker = 0
            for thread in worker_list:
                if thread.name == "vCenter_worker_thread":
                    self.vcenter_worker += 1
                elif thread.name == "storage_worker_thread":
                    self.storage_worker += 1
                elif thread.name == "backup_worker_thread":
                    self.backup_worker += 1

while self.vcenter_worker < int(vcenter_threads.value):
                VcenterWorker(self.vcenter_queue, self.vcenter_list)
                self.vcenter_worker += 1
            while self.storage_worker < int(storage_threads.value):
                StorageWorker(self.storage_queue, self.storage_list)
                self.storage_worker += 1
            while self.backup_worker < int(backup_threads.value):
                BackupWorker(self.backup_queue, self.backup_list)
                self.backup_worker += 1

Processes\Vcenter.py (where VcenterWorker lives)

# Python imports:
from multiprocessing import Process

# Local imports:
from VMwareInventory.VMwareRest.VMwareRest import RESTVCenter

class VcenterWorker(Process):
    def __init__(self, queue, vcenter_list):
        Process.__init__(self)
        self.queue = queue
        self.list = vcenter_list
        self.name = "vCenter_worker_process"
        self.start()

def run(self):
        while True:
            vcenter = self.queue.get()
            self.list.remove(vcenter)
            self.vcscrape(vcenter.name, vcenter.user, vcenter.password)
            self.queue.task_done()

@staticmethod
    def vcscrape(name, user, pwd):
        vc_scrape = RESTVCenter(name, user, pwd)
        vc_scrape.join()
        return

When you want to run code that interacts with Django models, you need to initialize Django itself.

The easiest way to do this for a command-line app, is to write a custom management command.

If you want that code to physically reside outside your Django project, you can read the code for those command classes to understand what they do, and do it yourself.

To clarify a little bit. Django starts first, and then it kicks off the collections once everything is loaded and ready. If you look at the apps.py snippet I posted, I have code in the ready() function inside of my app that Django loads.

That TimerScrape() function then kicks off the collection parts. I had them as Threads before, and now I’m trying to make them into processes.

So, Django is already initialized and the component that kicks off these extra processes. There’s no CLI commands kicking this off, it’s supposed to be done automatically through Django.

In-process threads aren’t going to resolve the issue you’re trying to address. If you’re looking to get around GIL-related issues, you must start these up as separate processes. And as a separate process, you need to bootstrap the Django environment within that process. There are no data structures shared between the current process and the new one.

That’s the reason why I’m switching from Threads to Processes at the top level. However, when I tried running django.setup() in the thread, it gave me an error about the setup process not being re-entrant since Django is already running.

Would I effectively need a Django instance for each collection thread that I spawn? Or would I need an “application” that I define in the settings.py file? Does each application run as a separate process?

You need to start these processes as completely independent processes. Those processes must be started in a manner consistent with how django-admin starts up the processes whether you use runserver or any other admin command.

All of a Django instance runs in a single process. Django apps are a logical construct, and not a physical / process.

So, I was doing some research through the django documentation to look for anything that might be close to what I’m doing, and I found this: https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/4.1/topics/settings/#calling-django-setup-is-required-for-standalone-django-usage

Do you know of any other docs I can look at that would reference this type of usage? This appears to be what I need since I just need the ORM and DB functions for these extra processes. The reference in this page even points to the application models.

What else are you looking for? It really isn’t complicated and that is all you need. You just need to ensure that this is all done in separate and independent processes for each instance that yoou need.