how to revise other people's code ?

hi, i want to do a code review. i need to be able to get other people’s code, test it locally and give my observations. What part of the documentation explains this? I think I’ve seen it once, but I can’t find it, and I’ve been looking ever since.
Can anyone help me? Thank you.

The handling pull requests section of the contributing docs provide a great git alias for checking out a PR.

If you find yourself checking out pull requests locally more often, this git alias will be helpful:

[alias]
       pr = !sh -c \"git fetch upstream pull/${1}/head:pr/${1} && git checkout pr/${1}\"

Add it to your ~/.gitconfig, and set upstream to be django/django. Then you can run git pr #### to checkout the corresponding pull request.

upstream is whatever you named the remote for django/django. I always call this origin but YMMV

I think the gh CLI also offers similar (but I don’t use it).

The slightly longer way is to add the contributors fork as a remote and then checkout the PR branch normally. (If you know the URL you can use that in the a get fetch command instead of the upstream pull/.../head bit in the command about. The help page for git fetch goes into a lot of detail…)

Thanks carltongibson. I don’t know how you manage to find your way around all this documentation so easily.

1 Like

Lot’s of practice :sweat_smile:

I know it feels like there’s a lot to begin with.

Lot’s of practice :sweat_smile:

yes, i’m gradually noticing it. tomorrow it’ll be our turn to say the same thing to a newcomer :sweat_smile:

1 Like