MySql version locator

Can someone clarify how Django is looking up MySql version on Windows?

I am attemping to startup django with the following database engine,
‘ENGINE’: ‘django.db.backends.mysql’.

• Regardless of whether I have installed MySql 8.0.36, django errors at app startup with the following message:
  • django.db.utils.NotSupportedError: MySQL 8.0.11 or later is required (found 5.6.14).

I cannot locate the MySql 5.6.14 instance that django claims to have found.

Thank you!

More lines from the traceback~~
File “D:\Program Files\Python\Python312\Lib\site-packages\django\db\backends\mysql\base.py”, line 268, in init_connection_state
super().init_connection_state()
File “D:\Program Files\Python\Python312\Lib\site-packages\django\db\backends\base\base.py”, line 226, in init_connection_state
self.check_database_version_supported()
File “D:\Program Files\Python\Python312\Lib\site-packages\django\db\backends\base\base.py”, line 201, in check_database_version_supported
raise NotSupportedError(
django.db.utils.NotSupportedError: MySQL 8.0.11 or later is required (found 5.6.14).

Is your DATABASES setting referring to localhost and not some external database? Is it trying to connect to port 3306, or some other port?

Check your task manager to verify that you don’t have two different instance of MySQL running. (Check both the running tasks and services.) Also check your Installed apps to see if it’s listed.

Verify that what is listening on the configured port is the right instance of MySQL.

Thank you Ken! Django identified the version of MySQL at the server. I was looking at the client version on the machine where the django app will be deployed.