Requirements for getting into the Django core team

Is it possible for a regular contributor from the community (with substantial code contributions, issue triages, code reviews) to make it to the Django contributors core team, or are there any additional requirements to that?

Also, apart from the Core team and Technical board (as mentioned in https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/internals/organization/), are there any other roles for contributors?

Officially, the “Django Core Team” has been disbanded. Django adopted a new governance model earlier this year - the doc referenced here gives you more up-to-date information about how the project is being managed.

Ken

1 Like

Ken is absolutely right, though as a former member of the core team, I still want to help answer the root of this question - is it, essentially, how to become a regular contributor?

I’m curious what you feel would be helpful; one of the curses of being a long-time open source maintainer is that you lose perspective on what it is to be new, after all.

1 Like

Thank you for the insightful replies!

is it, essentially, how to become a regular contributor?

@andrewgodwin, My question is inclined more towards what to expect after one becomes a regular contributor.

After going through the DEP, I was wondering how the proposed changes will affect the path after becoming a regular contributor in order to acquire the role of a “Merger” or “Django Core Developer”, as mentioned here.

I think the answers to that are further down on that page:

How will the people in these roles be chosen? covers how people acquire those roles. Briefly, the Technical Board are elected positions, the others are appointed.

But I wouldn’t necessarily count on this being etched in stone. As this is a newly adopted process, it wouldn’t surprise me to see some changes occur over the next couple years as some experience is gained.

Yes, we’re still figuring it out, but any significant contribution would be, in my personal view, worthy of the “core developer” honorary title. Becoming a Merger or a Technical Board member are the other options - Merger requires a history of good quality contributions, while Technical Board is going to need you to raise your prominence a bit and be an active participant in feature/technical discussions.

That might all sound a lot, but Django is always in need of more people to help us maintain and improve the project, so if you turn up and start fixing bugs and doing good work, the path towards these things is almost inevitable. Open source maintenance is mostly about the grind, and we’re happily going to bring in anyone who is willing to share that load with us.

2 Likes