Switch multiple versions of Django

Hi,

I use linux Mint 19.3 Tricia with installed python 2.7 (default) 3.6 and 3.8.
I installed both django 1.11.11 and django 3.2, they both load correctly but when a give the command django-admin.py istartproject it only creates a project using django 3.2, how do I do to averrun this problem and start a project for django 1.11 ?

Thanks

Please provide more details about exactly what you mean when you say “they both load correctly”.

Do you have python virtual environments configured for these? If not, you probably should.

Hi,
I mean,
Ex

I use a virtual environment only for django 3.2, should I use it for both ?

Thanks

Should you? I’d say yes. It’s the easiest way to help keep things “straight” between the versions.

Aside from that, I believe the fundamental issue is that the command line command django-admin.py typically gets installed in /usr/bin with a link to the specific version of python under which it is installed. There’s only one file installed - it’s not like python where you get a python2 and python3 link installed for the different versions.

As a result, to run a different version at the system level, you’d have to do something like python2 -m django startproject xyz.

But I’d still recommend you get into the habit of doing all this in virtual environments. I never recommend running Django using the system-installed environment.

Thank you gentleman, I found what I needed.

Gianfranco