Tutorial part 8 and <body> tag

Hi,

I don’t know of it’s the best place to discuss that but I wanted to report a minor issue with the tutorials.

I worked my way through the tutorial. Everything went fine until part 8 where we install the Django Debug Toolbar: the toolbar was not displayed on my views (i.e. the one created during the tutorial). After a quick search, I found that this is because if you follow closely the tutorial, the HTML code doesn’t include the <body> tag which is needed.

Maybe I have missed something or I could have realized that before but I was focusing on Django, not HTML. It’s briefly stated in part 3 that the tutorial uses “incomplete HTML” but I think I’m not the only one that missed this part (and it seems that this part confuses some people).

So I think that we could improve the tutorials on that point. Maybe we could just indicate in part 8 that it’s time to add the <body> tag if not done previously or maybe the template example could include a bit more of HTML.

Mathieu

P.S.: all in all, the tutorials are great !

<opinion>
I don’t disagree.

I think that the handling of templates is something that is much better covered in the Django Girls Tutorial than here. (And it’s one of the biggest reasons why I recommend it in addition to the official Django tutorial.)

I think that there might be value in adding one more page to the tutorial to cover the basics of the templates - including the concept of extending a base template and blocks.
<opinion>

Anyone else care to jump in on this?

I hoped that more influential people would answer on this but if I may help, I’m in.