use django-allauth when there is already an `account` app?

I have an app called account on my project which does not have authentication. I want users to add a real email and verify it when an email is sent to them. To do this I have been told to use allauth but it will not install and I get an error saying an account folder already exists.

Is there a way around this? I presume I have to rename my account app but don’t know how to do it. I also understand I will have to rename the account columns in my database.

I have read an article on StackOverflow that is 4 years old that provides a solution but it doesn’t work.

django-allauth when there is already an account app?

Can anyone help or suggest an up to date way to rename my app?

Thanks in advance
Diane

Are you looking to use allauth for a specific reason?

Or are you looking at it to address the following single specific requirement:

If the latter, then I think the implementation of allauth may be a lot more than you need - especially if you’re going to need to change your application to account for this.

If you’d like to explore a fundamentally different solution, can you expand some more as to what you’d like to see happen?

What I see so far:

1. User gets a form on a web page asking for them to supply an email address.
  2. User submits the form with a valid address
  3. Your Django project sends an email.
  • Does this email contain a link that they will click on to verify?
  • What do you want to have happen when the link is clicked on?

Fundamentally, this is exactly what happens with the Password Reset process, which means there’s a lot of code that already exists for you to take advantage of.

1 Like

Thanks for your help.

I have a form set up and people enter their email address and password then they can log in.

What I would like instead is for people to enter their email address
An email is sent with a verification link to that email address
When they click on the verification link they return to the site and see a message that says “you have verified your email address and can now log in”

I also want a password reset form as well. I have created a form for password reset but haven’t set it up to work yet.

Getting them both set up would be brilliant.

The Password Reset process is extremely straight-forward to set up. It works out of the box once you have emails set up. There’s nothing that needs to be configured for it other than that.

So your Email Validation could be built along the same lines, but with a couple minor differences.

Your view that accepts the email address creates a URL token, but with a different URL than what the Password Reset process generates. That URL takes you to a view that “activates” the account and redirects you to the login page.

Thanks. I will search for the password reset process and get it set up.