What's new in Django 5.0 [video]

Django 5.0 is out! :tada:

I have a video summarising what’s new here: https://youtu.be/lPl5Q5gv9G8?feature=shared

If you have time, give it a watch and let me know what you like and what can be better.
I’m also very very new to this, so I appreciate the support :heart:

14 Likes

Love it, love it, love it!

1 Like

Great work!
Thanks for the wrapped up content! Django 5.0 is coming with several interesting features!

1 Like

Thank you @KenWhitesell and @leandrodesouzadev! Means a lot :heart:

Everything about this is awesome!

1 Like

Thank you @StephanieAG :grin:
I was nervous but everyone’s positivity has made it all worth it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

c’était super ta vidéo. très interessante.

1 Like

merci beaucoup! j’ai fait de mon mieux :blush:

1 Like

I’m also working on my very first pull request here https://github.com/django/django/pull/17515
I hope to finalize it brilliantly so that it appears in your next video. :grin:

1 Like

I just stumbled over this post and watched the video right away. Made me want to try out 5.0 at the next possible occasion.

As for feedback:

• Good graphics, nice personal touch, felt light and entertaining
  • Pace was a bit to fast for me. Several times I felt the urge to rewind a bit to catch what was said
  • It’s probably just me, but it was a bit difficult for me to see the relevant code parts while you were talking about a new feature. And I’m pretty sure it’s hard to get right for everybody.
    Animation, fast zooming in/out and bluring the surrounding context to highlight the relevant code part, took me some more time to focus on the relevant part. I think, even if it’s boring, it would have helped just me to actually just highlighted the code part in a different color or with a colored box arround it. But as I said, I’m no expert when it comes to this and the experience is probably different for everybody
  • When you said: “… and my personal favourite:”
    I was like: “Yeah, this will be good!”
    And you said: "prefetch_related now supports prefetching generic foreign keys with non-homogeneous reslut sets
    And I was like: “???” and thought: “Ok, but she certainly will give an example of her personal favourite feature now”
    And you: “Let’s move on …”
    So I felt a little like: “Oh, probably every other Django developer knows what this is, just not me. Ok, more reading to do.”

I bet this took a long time to put together and was hard work. And again I want to say how much I appreciate you doing this. Thank you

1 Like

at least you understood something. for the rest of us who don’t speak english, it’s even worse. we’d like to have more of the same in french :grin:.

1 Like

Eine Version auf Deutsch wäre auch nicht schlecht! :laughing:

Again, I think it was an amazing job and a lot of work and passion went into it. And as I said, I’m no expert in any of the video creation skills. But I could offer doing the translation for the German version of the subtitles for this or some next video. I’m pretty sure the django project has some fine and experienced members, that are usually doing the translations to German. But maybe I can help.

1 Like

Hi @e11bits :wave: thank you so much for the feedback!
I need to work on the pace. Being worried it might be boring makes me want to rush through it, but a few people said they needed to pause and slow it down.
On prefetching generic foriegn keys, it’s niche and an example would have taken lot of time to have the foundation to show it. It’s definitely not something that every Django developer knows. Sorry that came across that way - in hindsight, I shouldn’t have put it in at all.

And thank you for watching!!! I’m glad you liked it :blush:

On languages, having translations is a good idea. I just added French and German with YouTube’s autotranslate feature now. @HamaBarhamou and @e11bits could you have a look and see what the quality is like? If it is value add I’ll do that with a few languages going forward :+1:
Otherwise, maybe it’s a start and a native speaker needs to check. Need to figure out a way to make this sustainable and not too reliant on the kindness of volunteers :thinking:

super your translation. it’s a great added value

1 Like

Amazing video, what a great features in Django new generation.
Really “Django is much more than a framework, Django is a community”

We appreciated your efforts, our fellows
Congratulations

1 Like

I’m surprised how good the automatic translation is. There are some rough edges, but I think nothing too bad.

“rely on” is translated to “sich verlassen”, but maybe does not have the same meaning as “to reference”.
One funny one is: “Got it? Got it.” is translated literally in to “Habe es? Habe es.”, which is more like “Received it? Received it.” and not “Understood? Understood.”

The translation may have problems with technical terms like prefetch_related

Besides that the translation is a valuable addition. Thanks!

1 Like

Magic! Updated the prefetch_related typo. I updated “Habe es? Have es.” to “Verstanden? Verstanden” and “such verlassen” to “verweisen”. Republished :grin: if anyone sees any other translation errors feel free to let me know :+1:

1 Like