Django: ...and clean, pragmatic design.

what does “… clean, pragmatic design” means, in section Meet Django, in https://www.djangoproject.com?

That’s actually a rather broad question. We’re talking about a one-sentence description of a system that has been in active development for nearly 20 years. Such brief summaries are necessarily vague.
What information or perspective on Django are you looking to get by exploring this topic? Or, what does that phrase mean to you?

Hi Ken, First of all thanks for the feedback. Well, could clean design be understood from a clean architecture perspective? And would pragmatic design be related to development practicality?

1 Like

If you’re referring to Robert Martin’s book by that title, I’ll plead ignorance. I left my role as an Enterprise Architect about 10 years ago and stopped reading about the topic about a year before that.

I will point out that Django was around for more than 10 years before that book was published, and so wouldn’t have been influenced by it in any event.

If you’re talking in the more generic sense of an architecture being “clean” by some general esthetic scale, I would say it is. There are some that disagree, but my opinion is that they’re trying to evaluate Django by a different yardstick - either trying to match it to some other framework that they’ve used in the past, or to some “academic” standard.

Marriam-Webster provides this:

Definition of pragmatic

1 : relating to matters of fact or practical affairs often to the exclusion of intellectual or artistic matters : practical as opposed to idealistic

So combining the two, my interpretation of that phrase might also be worded as:
Django encourages rapid development by focusing on getting things done rather than writing code to adhere to an academic concept of what a “good” design looks like.

2 Likes