Forum Feedback

Thank @andrewgodwin you for this new opportunity to participate in the Django community.

I’ll find time to join the async discussion
https://forum.djangoproject.com/c/internals/async

Really happy to hear about this forum in the great Django Chat podcast!

I’ve been following (mostly spectating) the Elm discourse over at https://discourse.elm-lang.org and it has really helped me “discover more” of the Elm eco-system. I hope this Django forum will do the same, and as a matter of fact it already has :smiley:

There was a lengthy discussion about what categories to have and why, so that might be a source of inspiration: https://discourse.elm-lang.org/t/what-categories-should-we-have-or-should-we-not-have/29

Looking forward to some great discussions :smiley:

Thank you for linking the Elm discussion, @valberg, that’s really cool to see.
I like their naming of Show and Tell for projects, and I think their split is very sensible.

Carrying that over here would mean that the “Using Django” category would be for asking questions (which we could make more explicit), while the “Community Projects” would be more for a “Show and Tell”/comment style approach.

Does this separation make sense for other people, too?

1 Like

I do prefer “Show and Tell” as a name for the “projects” forum - I’ll rename it that now.

1 Like

Great stuff !
Question about the events forum: is it just for Django events with 100% of Django content, or if there is a more general event (ie. Dev Meetup Somecity) with a planned talk related to Django ? I run such a barcamp in my hackerspace where I always talk about Django (last time TDD live demo, next time automated deployments).
If it is a repeated event (5-6 a year), should we do one thread per year or per event ? Given there’s only 4 threads currently, it would maybe be too much to create one thread per event, it’s not like they are going to be very interesting to people more than 100/200km away… even less people counting in miles :joy: :joy: :joy: BTW Is it maybe too small to appear in the Events forum at all ?
It’s in french too so maybe a sub-category should open ? At the level of the Events forum or maybe at a higher level ? I’d be fine answering usage questions in other languages than english too (namely french & spanish)
Thanks in advance for laying out the rules you want to experiment with
Have a fantastic day :tophat:

Given that the Events forum is not particularly busy, I think I’m fine with events with some Django content being in there, no matter the language. Just make it clear in the thread title!

One thread for repeated events might be better, though.

My take on this is, that the event should have some focus on Django, web development in Python, or infrastructure. An event about e.g. game development without any relation to Django doesn’t make sense.

I’d suggest to go with a single topic. When you give it a descriptive title and post new announcements underneath, they would bring it back to the top. No need for individual topics for each event or year.

Regarding the language, I’m not sure what you mean.

/MarkusH

About events this makes sense.

About languages, I meant have a forum per language, so that users who are more comfortable with language X can meet in language X forum and post things in their language. I think I’ve seen that in some forums, not sure how well it works out, but could be worth experimenting with.

yehors is right, i thought as much

The idea of the forum is excellent. I’ve always wondered where to talk to you all!

What would be great is to have a mobile app for the forum that sends push updates on new posts and updates. I dug a little and found something like this: https://github.com/pmusaraj/discourse-mobile-single-site-app maybe we could use it?

@timonweb We run this on a hosted Discourse, so I don’t really want to run anything extra that needs us to maintain it, unfortunately.

If there’s anything we can configure that makes the website work better as a progressive web app, though, we can do that (it’ll already send you push notifications on Android and desktop).

This fits into the category of: “Doctor, it hurts when I do ‘x’.” Doctor: “Well then, don’t do ‘x’.” So please consider this as nothing more than an FYI.

It appears to me that the “Light” theme is broken.

• Go to your preferences/interface page
  • under Theme, select Light.
  • click Save Changes
  • refresh the page
    The menu at the top (“Project homepage …”) has disappeared.

It’s not just that it’s showing a white menu on a white background - the Firefox tools showing the page shows that the menu isn’t in the html.

Image 1 - Menu bar using neutral theme:

Notice the menu entries within the highlighted span.

Image 2 - Menu bar using the Light theme:

Notice the empty span element. The ul element that follows it are for the search icon, menu icon, and user’s image.

@KenWhitesell Good catch, those themes weren’t customised with header links correctly - I’ve disabled them both for now.

Hi, Forum is great and thanks for running. As a beginner to programming and forums it took me a while to work up to the first post, but reading other topics, replies are always respectful and helpful (unlike others). Maybe a dedicated section for newbies so the first post is slightly less intimidating?

What would you be looking for from such a section? Newbies are welcome anywhere, especially in the “using Django” section - I’m happy to improve that description to say so if you think it would help!

I have only been using Django for a couple of months now and the more I get involved with the community, the less I think my suggestion of a dedicated section is needed. It is very welcoming and all responses have been useful and understanding of lack of experience. Maybe a home/splash screen, or seperate section that highlights the fact that this is a fairly unique tech community which is very inclusive (existing members know, but new people may not)?

I wonder if there would be any value in creating a FAQ section / topic for here? I know there’s a Django FAQ, but I’m thinking of something that might be more forum specific - addressing some of the common items I’m seeing in the questions being posted.

@KenWhitesell I see when you post a new topic, there’s a “your topic is similar to” pop-up. Maybe it’s worth curating the existing Q/A’s a bit more, like StackOverflow, to make that pop-up more useful? It’s hard to get people to go search another thing before they post their question in frustration.

I like the sounds of that, I’ll keep that in mind.

[Edit: I don’t think the person posting the question / opening the target is going to be in the best position to identify similar topics, and I’m not seeing a way to go in afterward to select or change anything like that. It may just be that I’m an ordinary user and don’t have the rights to do that.]

TBH, I was thinking less of expecting people to search there, but rather as a library of “canned” answers that can be referenced in an answer as a starting point. (e.g. A handy link of a comments along the lines of "When you post code, please put three quotes in front of and after your code fragment. This allows the forum to properly format your code for being displayed on this site.) So I wouldn’t be looking to use these in isolation, instead of a more (hopefully) thoughtful answer, but as a supplement to add to the specific issue being addressed.

Right that set of canned answers would be good! Perhaps a pinned post on the “Using Django” forum?