How to implement soft delete in Django or Django Rest Framework.

Dear Team,

I recently got an API to work on from my new organization. In this project, they have used django-oauth-toolkit for authentication and using the default User model (No Custom User Model).

This project consist of E-commerce for selling goods, live and recorded courses, aws s3 bucket for static file storage, also integrated with razorpay.

Based on my understanding so far, the project has one Profile model having one to one field with User table. Many of the tables are related to the profile table or user table. or both

They have asked me to implement a soft delete functionality. What I know that I need to create a custom User model and the soft delete functionality cannot be implemented with current schema. But I’m little worried about data integrity and complexities that may arise after creating a new Custom user model.

I have no senior to guide me here and no person to understand this problem. I have the idea that how we can implement the soft delete but no idea on the complexity that may arise and also I do not know the best practices for this problem.

One more question, can soft delete functionality be implemented in a large project that uses the default user Model?

Please guide me on this.

Sincerely,
Arun Kumar