Making money with Django

Hi All

Hopefully this is the right place to post this.

In short I was curious how people are using their Django skills to make money.

I have been using Django since 2013. I have used it for a number of things, namely

3 failed startup attempts
1 likely to fail startup attempt
3 freelance paid jobs for mates
1 performance monitoring system for my day job as a database administrator/devops engineer
1 voluntary project for a charity
n contributions to DjangoSnippets
1 unloved blog

All of which I have thoroughly enjoyed :slight_smile:

None of that equates to much money though and Im keen to rectify that.

The ways I can think of to make money using python/django are

1. Python/Django Full time Job
  2. Freelance web dev work
  3. Build my own money making web app…one day….fingers crossed
  4. Writer a book … no thanks
  5. Blog about it , build an audience, sell courses …… not sure is that’s my bag

As it stands I’m pretty happy in my day job and the hours are not considerably demanding right now so I do have the time to take on more work.

So at it stands Im interested in making number 2 from the list above work for me.

I would be really interested in hearing from anyone who does number 2 and under what conditions they do it. For example I am a fully competent full stack developer, but do not have a creative bone in my body so cannot come up with web designs. If Im give the wireframe and desired behaviour , no problemo. Do you collaborate with designers/agencies?

Should I be looking to find freelance designers to collaborate with?
Should I be using sites like upwork?
How do you source customers?
How much do you charge?

In short I think I’m sitting on some fairly marketable skills but failing to profit from them.

Would love to hear from anyone who has had experience with this. If I take on another unpaid software project I think my wife may kill me :slight_smile:

Look forward to hearing from you

Thanks
Chris

1 Like

Did you search jobs with the “Django” keyword ?

Otherwise, you can enter for a whatever job (PHP…) and do some Django !

I remember recruiting at the Django Job Clinic at DjangoCon Carfdiff, might be some opportunities too !

Hi @chriswedgwood could you please tell us more about your failed startup projects?

Hello Chris & All,

Without failing there will be no success, so keep trying, fail more, fail faster, and have more rejections, don’t stop, success is behind all of these. These failed attempts and rejections are there to make you stronger.
The most important key here is don’t attach these to you, to the self, nothing wrong with you bro. You are doing great…The previous startup failed, not YOU.
You are good. You are honest. You are trying your best to make money in a good way.
The key to earn money, and a lot of it is the value…Don’t focus on the money it self, because it’s fake. Focus on the value.
Ask yourself: What the VALUE I’m going to provide to the people, using my Django skills.
Ask yourself: What the real problem I’m going to solve to huge amount of people, and then the idea will come, and the money will follow.
Keep it up, do it again and again, never stop.
All the best to you and to the loved Django community.