New to Django Contribution

Hello all!

I am Sungmin Cho, or you can just call me Sam. This will be my first step as an open source contributor and I really look forward to learning more about this process. I am currently getting started with the “Writing your first patch for Django”. I would also appreciate any advice on other places I could get more resources on getting started.

I hope this is the right place to post this because I did not really know where to say. Would this be a good place to contact the mentors in the future for advice and questions? If not, please let me know if there is a discord channel or IRC. Thank you!

Best,
Sungmin Cho

Yes, this is one of the places where you can ask questions.

If you’ve read everything at and linked from Contributing to Django | Django documentation | Django then you’re off to a good start. There are people here who can (and will) help with specific questions or issues you may encounter.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply!

About issues I may encounter, could I get some help with this? I am trying to install the cloned copy of Django in my Python virtual environment but I am getting this error: "ERROR: Package ‘django’ requires a different Python: 3.9.6 not in ‘>=3.10’ ".

I am on MacBook Air M2 and have Python 3.9.6 installed. Here’s an image of it as well:

I think the error message is pretty straight-forward. It’s telling you exactly what the issue is.

See Django 5.0 release notes | Django documentation | Django

Oops, I just figured. Sorry about this, thank you.