New to Django: Exploring and Troubleshooting

Hello Django Community,

I’m excited to learn more about Django’s features and capabilities as a new user.However, I understand that few potential causes can prompt issues while working with Django. Could you provide guidance on the following points?

• How might I ensure right configuration in Django, including settings files and URL routing?

• In Django, what are typical issues with databases and how can I effectively resolve them?

• Are there any issues with third-party packages and Python versions that I should be aware of?

• What security best practices would it be advisable for me to follow to safeguard my Django applications from vulnerabilities?

• In Django applications, how can I identify and address performance issues?

• What are some common deployment configuration issues, and how might I avoid or resolve them?

I also gone through this https://forum.djangoproject.com/t/new-to-django/9781 ruby on rails but didn’t find any insighful information about Django.

For new Django developers, any helpful advice, resources, or best practices would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your support!

Best regards
[James]

Welcome @jamessbolt !

These are some very broad topics you’re asking about here - and certainly deserve a much deeper discussion than what can be covered in a forum post.

The Django docs actually cover most of this, but because of the volume of content, there’s a lot to sift through. Also, I acknowledge that the docs are mostly set up as reference material and not tutorial-style and so aren’t the easiest to get started from.

I have always recommended the combination of the Official Django Tutorial and the Django Girls Tutorial as the absolute best places to get started. They really do teach you all the necessary fundamentals.

For going beyond that, I recommend people reference the Awesome Django page for a curated list of quality resources. (Most importantly, I suggest avoiding educational resources that aren’t listed. There’s a lot of old or misleading information out there, and a lot of it causes more confusion at some point.)

One other suggestion I offer to people, is that at some point shortly after completing the tutorial, read the Table of Contents page in the documentation, just to get an idea of what’s in it. The purpose behind this isn’t to specifically learn anything from it other than knowing (in general) what topics are covered in the docs.