problem with console

when I write to console py manage.py runserver
console returns python
and does not execute the command, maybe I don’t understand something, looking for help

It looks like you’re using Windows Powershell to try and do this, and it doesn’t appear as if you’ve either created or activated a virtual environment.

What steps have you taken before this point? What does py --version show? How about pip list?

<opinion>
You might want to either find a Windows Powershell-specific tutorial or possibly switch to the traditional Windows shell. I find the Windows command prompt to be more “familiar” when trying to use Python/Django than the Powershell.
</opinion>

before this i typed
django-admin startproject mysite

thats i tried to do it all over again

About the best I can tell you is that those steps work for me.

Are you using one of the standard Python distributions or a custom built version? (Hopefully nothing like a “Conda” version or anything like that.) I’ve seen people generally have more success by using one of the standard deployments.

i used last version from official site python 3.11

What does the command py -m pip list show?

How about django-admin?

Ok, so this demonstrates a function Python and Django installation.

I’m guessing the next thing to try would be:
py manage.py
to see if you get the same output as the django-admin command.

If so, then try:
py manage.py check

Side Note: For future reference, please copy/paste text into your message rather than images. Use lines of three backtick - ` characters to force the forum software to keep it properly formatted. This means you’ll have a line of ```, then your code (or console output), then another line of ```.

Please post your manage.py file here. This almost makes it seem like it wasn’t generated correctly.

#!/usr/bin/env python
"""Django's command-line utility for administrative tasks."""
import os
import sys

def main():
    """Run administrative tasks."""
    os.environ.setdefault('DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE', 'mysite.settings')
    try:
        from django.core.management import execute_from_command_line
    except ImportError as exc:
        raise ImportError(
            "Couldn't import Django. Are you sure it's installed and "
            "available on your PYTHONPATH environment variable? Did you "
            "forget to activate a virtual environment?"
        ) from exc
    execute_from_command_line(sys.argv)

if __name__ == '__main__':
    main()

Just as an experiment, try deleting that first line from this file.
(The line #!/usr/bin/env python)

I’m kind of able to recreate some of what you’re seeing - and it appears that it may be related to you not using a virtual environment here. (Pure conjecture at this point)

wow this helped solve the problem, thank you very much, but where did I get part of this code from?

It’s generated by the “startproject” command. I don’t understand why it seems to interfere with the py.exe command when you run it outside a venv - but that’s what appears to be happening.

(If you create a venv and activate it, then use it for your startproject, etc, everything appears to work properly. I’m only seeing this problem occur when there’s no active venv.)

1 Like

Got it, thanks again for your time.