Starting GSoC 2022

Hi all :wave: — time to begin thinking about Google Summer of Code again.

I’ve filed the application for the Django Org, and begun the ideas page here:

https://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/SummerOfCode2022

Please check that out, and suggest any ideas you have!

Fancy being a mentor? — mostly this is being ready to input on an idea or a PR to help students keep up momentum. It’s usually fun, and not too taxing. :smile: — If mentoring sounds fun to you, please let me know.

3 Likes

@carltongibson sounds like fun! Please add me to the the list of mentors.

2 Likes

You can put me down as a mentor @carltongibson :+1:

2 Likes

Hey, @carltongibson Great Opportunity
I would also like to mentor the folks and help them in their journey add me to in the list :blush:

2 Likes

Hi Carlton, I would like to be part of this team.

Best,

@carltongibson One project idea that I’ve come up with would be to make the Django Debug Toolbar compatible with Django Channels / ASGI. It’s a shortcoming of the toolbar that needs to be dealt with eventually, but I haven’t made time for it yet.

It would require some knowledge of Django Channels, ASGI and how the Django Debug Toolbar works.

Expected outcome would be a PR (or multiple PRs) moving the toolbar towards full compatibility with Django channels and async logic.

There’s some old existing work here.

Hey @CodenameTim — Good idea. (Perfect really!) I’ve added it to the wiki page (same link as above).

Nice. :tada:

Hi, @carltongibson would love to be a part of GSOC as a mentor.

hey @carltongibson ! I’m Shruti Pulstya pursuing my engineering in Information Science and I’m interested in contributing to and learning from django for GSOC 2022.
I’d like to contribute to one of the projects mentioned in the ideas list labeled as “Add rate-limiting to core”.
Could you please what do i need to know for the above mentioned project idea?

Hi @shrutipulstya — Welcome! :wave:

The general idea is read-up on the background, get an overview and then come up with a proposal, seeking input where needed on the way.

There’s already some discussion on this project idea here GSoC Proposal Feedback - Adding Rate-Limiting to Core - Django Internals / Mentorship - Django Forum and on the mailing list thread about the original ticket: Ticket #21289 - Login Rate Limiting

Just as a tactical point, given the existing discussion, it’s likely we’ll have at least that application in for that project… :thinking: If you’re particularly interested in that project, then that would show through in your application, but having an eye to one of the other project ideas listed (such as DB Cascades, or per-field instance lookups) might be worth thinking about too.

I hope that helps. If you have particular questions please do open a new topic!

Kind Regards,

Carlton

1 Like

Hey @carltongibson ,
I’m planning to apply to Django in GSoC 2023 so if you guys are thinking of GSoC again, please let me know !
I know it’s too soon, but I’m going through the ideas list mentioned here: https://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/SummerOfCode2022#Ideas .
Feel free to update the list as per the requirement.

Hi @adiaholic — We will likely do GSoC again next year, yes. If you’re keen to be accepted the best way is to become an active contributor from now. That way we’ll know who you are, what the quality of your work is, and you’ll be able to create a project proposal that really ties in to things you know about and have worked on.

2 Likes

Hi @carltongibson i want to be accepted in gsoc 2023 i.e the upcoming gsoc, I have prior experience in nodejs, express, django and flask
please guide on how to start contributing and things to do
Thank you

Hi @Abhay — read the “How can I improve my chances of being accepted?” section of the ideas page for an answer here.

The short answer is Get Contributing — if we know you, we’ll know your abilities, and if you’ve been contributing you’ll have a better idea for a good project.

Kind Regards,

Carlton

Hi @carltongibson I have been contributing to the Django project for quite a while now and have been aiming for GSOC with Django just wanted to ask what ideas are still active or would be good to propose.

Kind Regards,

Anvesh

Hi Anvesh,

I started a Django-developers thread on that just this week as it happens:
https://groups.google.com/g/django-developers/c/0lelyphIw8k

Take a look.

There’s a cluster of issues around the email settings that would make a good project:

(and others there.)

Also the “Superfeedr” dependency we use for the Community Feeds on the djangoproject.com site seems to be unmaintained now, so writing a periodic task to replace that would be one possible idea: Cannot add feeds to Django Community Blog · Issue #1137 · django/djangoproject.com · GitHub

We’ll have an official list in Jan or so, but we’re always open to any ideas, so if you come up with something you would like to work on do let us know.

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards,

Carlton

Thank you for the suggestions Carlton.

Hi @carltongibson, adding configuration options to email backends sounds interesting to me, but I’m having a little trouble understanding the scope of the project.

From what I’ve gathered after reading the related tickets and mailing list discussions, I understand that the aim would be to move from the multiple email config settings we have now and instead configure them from a single setting (maybe a dictionary), similar to how database backends are configured, and modify the EmailBackend to support this.

Is this correct or am I missing something in the scope?

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Hi @hrushikeshrv — Yes, something like that.

• I think first milestone would be allowing multiple backends.
  • Then deprecating at least some of the numerous EMAIL_* settings, allowing those to be configured in the backend.
  • Then adding the additional options to the SMTP backend (that were proposed as needing new EMAIL_* settings)

Make sense?