Beginner for GSOC?

Hi y’all.
I am currently teaching myself coding by building my first simple Django app.
Before I’ve only had a little bit of experience with web scraping in Python (mostly hobby projects).

The past days I’ve started to make my first steps into contributing to Django by creating a few tickets and help triaging.
I feel that I could probably contribute to the documentation.
But looking at the ideas for GSOC they seem quite overwhelming for me.

Although I know that we should come up with our own ideas, I am tempted to ask what a rather “medium or easy” project could look like.
Would such an entry level project even make sense in that case?

I was wondering if there are only 175h projects and 350h projects?
Or are there more categories?

1 Like

Hi @Sammeeey :wave:

The sizes are laid-down by GSoC: essentially they’re short and long.
They’re meant to substantial: I don’t think GSoC is really targeting smaller Just solve a ticket type projects — it’s meant to take the summer after all… :slight_smile:

The idea is that you dig-in and really learn something. I know it can seem intimidating but… well… dig-in! :smile:

If you’re truly a beginner then maybe it’s too much, but normally it’s CS students — is that you? — so why not?

I would think the Benchmarking, Per-instance Lookups, Database-level Cascades, and Rate-Limiting projects would all be addressable with a bit of investigation.

2 Likes

Thank you for the answer @carltongibson. :v:

I don’t have a CS background.

Therefore I think I’ll need some more time to find my way into Django and web development in general.
But since you’ve just accepted my ticket in the tracker I’ll have a look and try to solve it for now.

1 Like

Hey @Sammeeey

Me neither :slightly_smiling_face: — I did philosophy… I don’t mean to put you off with the CS mention — more that most GSoC applicants are doing CS… The real measure there is whether you’re coding skills are there, and beyond that your problem solving skill — which are not at all limited by study area.

You’re already coding, so maybe… — only you can say.

Happy to consult on your ticket. If you wanted to dig in and see about enabling the cached template loader in development, that would be a good change. (It’s on my hit list.)

If you were able to do that, and you had the time to commit to GSoC, I don’t see why you couldn’t take on a project: most problems need time/love/energy/thought but they’re not often hard to the point of being intractable. The reason most issues aren’t resolved is lack of time. (And yes, some are genuinely difficult.)

HTH

Kind Regards,

Carlton

1 Like

Thank you @carltongibson.

I’ll take some minutes every day to dig in there.
Once I have a basic understanding and maybe some ideas, I’d be glad to get your feedback.

What’s the best way to arrange the consultation?

Kind Regards,
Sam

You can ping me here, or open a draft PR on GitHub if you prefer. :+1:

1 Like

Greeting here! I’m steve from cameroon and i’m really new to this.

1 Like