Django Fellow Report - Natalia

Hello everyone! As part of the effort to use this forum as the main communication channel, I am creating this topic to submit my weekly fellow report.

Week ending 2023-05-14 (Week 20)

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

PR Cleanup

Other/Misc

• Dedicated some time to read about the migrations framework, following the related topic in the forum post.
  • GSoC welcome emails and initial sync.
6 Likes

Hey @nessita — super thanks. It’s much more visible here :+1:

Thanks @nessita

+1 for Forum use.

Week ending 2023-05-21 (Week 20)

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored/Reported

1 Like

Good work pushing this forward! It’s been a long time in half-way land. :+1:

Week ending 2023-05-28 (Week 21)

Monday 22nd was a National Holiday in Uruguay, so it was a short week for me :sunglasses:

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

PR Cleanup

2 Likes

Week ending 2023-06-04 (Week 22)

DjangoCon.eu happened this week, and while I couldn’t attend, it was amazing seeing all the new contributions! Lots of PRs, many from new contributors. Well done!

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

PR Cleanup

Other/Misc

• Followed the GeoDjango tutorial for the first time to: 1- be more familiar with the topic, and 2- be able to triage a related bug.
  • Study and investigation around __repr__.
  • GSoC Mentor Welcome Talk, this was an hour long hangout with GSoC organizers with guidelines to mentors.
2 Likes

Week ending 2023-06-11 (Week 23)

It has been an intense week in terms of study and research for both the GSoC project and the djangoproject.com site. I’ve had the opportunity to learn a lot! Additionally, I actively participated in various chats with other community members, discussing ways to support new contributors and related topics. These interactions have been highly invigorating!

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Other/Misc

• Django release! Bugfixes for 4.2.1 were released as version 4.2.2 on June 5th.
  • GSoC deep dive.
    • Thorough research and study of past tickets, PRs and discussions about “Configurable Content-Type Parsing”. Gathered notes and shared them with other mentors.
    • Scheduled and held a call with the GSoC contributor for guidance and syncing on next steps.
  • Work on djangoproject.com following a request from the DSF board.
  • Security reports triage and follow ups.
4 Likes

Great work again on the first release @nessita — it’s terrifying, at least for me :star:

1 Like

Week ending 2023-06-18 (Week 24)

This past week was intense in terms of thinking around (new) contributors, contribution barriers, and inclusion. Relatedly, I focused on a few specific things, giving them my full attention and going deeper instead of trying to cover a lot of different things on the surface.

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Other/Misc

• Preparing title and abstract for an upcoming Django conference :sparkler:.
  • Chat with Sarah about the mentorship program and lowering the barrier for new contributors.
  • Deep dive on the multiple threads about Python version support in Django :melting_face:.
  • GSoC follow ups.
5 Likes

Week ending 2023-06-25 (Week 25)

I’ll be off for two weeks, for a long-time planned holiday. I’ll check my email periodically though!

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Other/Misc

1 Like

Week ending 2023-07-02 (Week 26)

This was a short week for me, only Mon and Tue.

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Other/Misc

• Reviewed security patches.

Week ending 2023-07-09 (Week 27)

Holidays!

Week ending 2023-07-16 (Week 28)

Another short week, I returned to my activities last Thu.

Triaged

Reviewed

Other/Misc

• GSoC midterm evaluation. Coordination with co-mentors, submitted written feedback to Google and emailed the contributor.
  • Overall catch up with emails, ticket reports and PRs.
3 Likes

Week ending 2023-07-23 (Week 29)

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Other/Misc

1 Like

Week ending 2023-07-30 (Week 30)

Triaged

Reviewed

Other/Misc

• Research on best practices for form submit buttons placement, to follow up on this ticket. Very interesting reading!
  • Research for #34720 on os.path/Path exceptions and behavior.
2 Likes

Week ending 2023-08-06 (Week 31)

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Other/Misc

• Django 4.2.4 released! My second release.
  • Read threads about Django support for Oracle, very educational.
  • DjangoCon US talk preparation.
2 Likes

Week ending 2023-08-13 (Week 32)

This (past) week I’ve been intermittently available and working odd hours because my child had to go through a medical procedure. All went well, so next week I should return to my normal (and more predictable) schedule.

Triaged

Reviewed

Other/Misc

• Security reports reviews, analysis and patch draft. Had some fun playing with the inspect module!
1 Like

Thanks for the ping @nessita. I’ve been following along from the stands. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I didn’t dig in deeply but, at quick look, I would absolutely go for the minimum to maintain the behaviour on main, and not think about more complete callable support in this ticket.

If you want me to dig in, give me a breadcrumb and a mention on GitHub, maybe that test?, and I’m happy to do so, but I don’t have a strong opinion beyond old one about the performance of generating choices (that’s resolved already).

:gift:

Week ending 2023-08-20 (Week 33)

Triaged

Reviewed

Authored

Other/Misc

Leaving this here for others to be aware: I agree with this sentence, and after some investigation, I suggested a change in normalize_choices so we can keep the original behavior in the model field’s choices while progressing the choices handling code to a better and unified place.

If (any of) you have thoughts, please do share! Thanks.

1 Like

Week ending 2023-08-27 (Week 34)

Last Friday (25th) was Uruguay’s Independence day, so I took the day off :relaxed:

Triaged

Reviewed

Other/Misc

• Review of security patches.
  • Another deep dive for https://github.com/django/django/pull/16943, I believe this is now ready for checkin, hopefully it will be merged by the end of next week.
  • Prepared presentation slides for Djangonaut Space talk.
2 Likes