needing additional help for newbie

hello. i’ve been trying to understand how all this web frameworks work. been reading the docs from django site as well as watching youtube django tutorials but all i understood is how to install django and multiple python versions. when it comes to actual coding for a website, i get lost because i don’t understand how or where they get the commands and it’s syntax from. i know procedural languages like C, where to get the appropriate C command and its syntax but when it comes to django, all tutorials i’ve come across only shows you how to create a website.

i need to know where django get its command list and their syntax. as most will tell you to learn python first before django, i don’t see any relation because of the syntax.

What commands are you talking about? Are you talking about the Django commands like runserver, makemigration, migrate, etc?

• If so, those don’t really affect how you build your website - they’re more functions that help you prep your working environment and getting things started and up and running.
  • If you’re really curious, you can look at the docs for django-admin and manage.py to see what’s available, and the docs on writing custom management commands to see how you write your own.
  • But, writing your own management commands have very little to do with building your website.

When people are looking to get started with Django, I always point them at the official Django tutorial. If you work through that all the way through - actually typing what you’re supposed to type instead of just copy/pasting lines into files - you’ll get a really good foundation on how to use Django.

If you’re looking for a different perspective, the Django Girls Tutorial is also an excellent project to work through.

And yes, at some point along the way, you’re going to need to develop some degree of proficiency with Python to be at all productive with Django. It’s not a “point-and-click” site construction tool like some other frameworks out there.